Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Helping a friend, need advice: >

Helping a friend, need advice:

Helping a friend, need advice:

Old 10-03-2014, 05:50 AM

I OFTEN see vintage quilts in the thrift shops, usually priced very inexpensively. Many have damage or are weird half-shrunk polyester things - but I've seen undamaged, neatly-made, hand-quilted vintage cotton quilts with $40 price tags that sat for weeks. I like to look at them but I never buy them as I really don't have use for them. It seems to me it's really hard to find a market for your average, run-of-the-mill vintage quilt, even ones with nice hand-quilting.

My sister bought a (non-vintage) hand-pieced scrappy hexi throw-size quilt at a thrift shop for $4 to use in her dog's bed. At first I screeched when I saw it but honestly I can't blame her - she's not into quilting and just saw it as an interesting dog blanket for a good price. The dog still uses it....I wasn't about to take it from him and I have no use for it anyway. At least the dog is not a chewer or a shredder and is more of a snuggler; the quilt seems to be withstanding his use pretty well (I am driven to discreetly check every time I visit). It's machine-quilted so hopefully that'll help it hold together. And I have to admit, it does look nice draped on his bed, LOL.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM

I'll confess, I did not read all the responses. BUT, if I did not know how to price a quilt, I would have told her that. Also, I would have told her I did not sell quilts (if that is true) and would have no idea about how to do it. It is OK to say No or I don't know.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I absolutely, positively agree with quilt1950, tell your friend to get the quilt appraised, regardless of any inconvenience to her if she really wants to sell it; and I would not agree to do it for her because you don't feel qualified. Just my opinion.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Whew, you dodged a bullet on this one! And, if for some reason, she decides she 'found' the things she wanted you to work on, you will just recently have discovered you have a sore hand; have to leave town for weeks; gave your machine away; are only sewing for your new grandson/daughter/neighbor/MIL/favorite charity; your husband is forcing you to go back to work; the house flooded and everything you own is in storage; yoiu've lost your memory and don't know who in the world she is;........

Jan in VA
Old 10-03-2014, 11:39 AM

LOLOL, Jan, too funny!! Actually, I won't mind sewing the blocks for her if she finds them. I love her and would do it when I can fit it in. I did also suggest she should take the crazy quilt to an appraiser at any time if she changed her mind and decided to sell it.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
My friend was recently in this same situation. She inherited a crazy quilt from her MIL. With my help, she found local appraisers (Well, 2 hours away). They did not feel confident to give her an appraisal of this unique quilt. (It was beautiful). The appraisers suggested she contact an appraiser in California, who had some expertise in this area. It was appraised for several thousand dollars, and the California appraiser helped her find a buyer. It was worth her time and expense to do a thorough job researching her quilt.
I think this should be repeated, great wisdom & advice!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Okay this is my own personal opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it, and I may get flamed for it, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

My sense of this situation is your friend wants to get as much money for as little work as possible, and you are getting pulled by her tractor beam into the crosshairs. RUN. Let her deal with it. You are a quilter, not a professional restorer or appraiser. You are right; if she wants money for anything she wants to sell, she should get it appraised. That way she can back up her pricing with paperwork and provenance. Appraisers may also be able to suggest appropriate selling venues.
I agree completely & wasn't impressed with the second pictured quilt asking $299 for a worn & torn quilt, but what do I know??
Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Very interesting outcome today. After seeing the quilt, it was not in good shape as I expected. About 20% was damaged by wear. I pleaded inability to make a proper judgement and she decided to keep it. She gifted me one quilt with one area of damage, one flimsy with 2 missing blocks and a set of very old blocks in muslin and blue, tree of life, 11 blocks and 4 in the same colors that are signature blocks. There is a lot of flocking on the muslin, so I'll be trying to get them cleaned up.
She didn't bring any blocks for me to sew and give back. Not sure what happened to that but I didn't ask.
I recently finished some estate sale vintage blocks into a quilt--I used Restoration on the flimsy after I got the blocks together and did a seam around the outside--didn't want to mess with machine quilting it if it wasn't going to clean up. Due to uniqueness of some of the fabric used (salvaged from shirts)I saved one block for the label and did not clean up with Restoration. Restoration worked VERY well in cleaning up white and colors--I had no idea whether it would bleed dye or not--but it did not. Try it on the older stuff.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Okay this is my own personal opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it, and I may get flamed for it, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

My sense of this situation is your friend wants to get as much money for as little work as possible, and you are getting pulled by her tractor beam into the crosshairs. RUN. Let her deal with it. You are a quilter, not a professional restorer or appraiser. You are right; iWell, I'm,f she wants money for anything she wants to sell, she should get it appraised. That way she can back up her pricing with paperwork and provenance. Appraisers may also be able to suggest appropriate selling venues.
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one on this page. My first thought was that "it's not worth it" but she wants you to do it. I agree: RUN!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Amen I agree with you 100%!!!
I also agree 100%