Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping a friend out

My friend X is creating a quilt for her son's kinder class. 30 squares that the kids will draw on. The teacher wants to use muslin! There has to be sashing in a quilt like this or it'll look horrible. X does not want to iron after prewashing. X has no idea that cutting the sashes will be a lot of work. I told X that she will spend up to $100 since she is starting from scratch. The backing alone (68x80) will be 14 yards of material! She doesn't know all that goes into making a quilt. She volunteered because she's very involved and helpful, but wow... she does not know what she's getting into. Thank goodness a real quilter will be doing the quilting. (I don't think she knows yet that the top needs to be pieced - which implies sewing!!)

how funny

Kas
    uh oh

for the backing, tell her to buy a flat sheet. better quality fabric and much less expensive.

Yeah, that's going to be an eye-opener for her.

Quote Originally Posted by kclausing
    for the backing, tell her to buy a flat sheet. better quality fabric and much less expensive.
    Great suggestion!

I am still a beginner, but 14 yards of material for backing sounds like an awful lot. If this friend doesn't sew it will be a lot of work for her trying to figure it all out.

I agree that 14 yards for a back sounds to much. Go to your local Goodwill and/or thrift store and get a sheet. You can often find them in very good shape.

She'll learn by her mistakes!!

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    14 yds of fabric for a back what is she making a quilt the size of a living room????????? I have NEVER heard of 14 yds for a back.

I do a project with my second graders every year and someone wins the quilt at the end of the year!!! It's a great project and I hope it doesn't overwhelm her. Why pre-wash the fabric? If X does not want to iron it, don't pre-wash!!! What are the kids going to draw with? She has to be careful if she wants it to be able to be washed. What will she do with the quilt? Even with narrow muslin, she won't need 14 yards for the backing...she needs to recalculate. I wish her luck and hope she's not in over her head!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast