Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Here I am with another question, please.

Hi all........yesterday i asked a question about the size of a block. I got some good info from the wonderful people on this board. I am starting a quilt. Pic. is attached. One block is a 16 piece block using 3 in. squares. The next block is a 10 1/2 inch solid white block......however the four corners have a half square triangle in the corners. How do i achieve this? thanks in advance. hugs cheryl
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would take a 3" square and line it up in the corner of your 10 1/2" square and sew the diagonal - then trim the corner to your 1/4" seam. When you open it up you should have your triangle.

Power Poster
    I think but I am not sure is that you put a 3 in color fabric right side down in the each of the white corner square and see from corner to corner fold back and trim excess fabric and iron. Love the quilt.
    Some one else maybe able to explain better than me.

Blog Entries
    I would call the 10" white block a snowball. http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/snowball1.html
    this link shows you how to do the snowball using all 4 corners. Do a trial block to make sure you have the correct size for your corner square (which makes your triangle). Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the tut, the first of the page is blank. Happy Quilting

Quote Originally Posted by Mesissy
    Hi all........yesterday i asked a question about the size of a block. I got some good info from the wonderful people on this board. I am starting a quilt. Pic. is attached. One block is a 16 piece block using 3 in. squares. The next block is a 10 1/2 inch solid white block......however the four corners have a half square triangle in the corners. How do i achieve this? thanks in advance. hugs cheryl
    Cut all your little squares at 3" and the big white squares at 10.5". Put a colored square face down on each corner of the big white blocks and sew diagonally across the corner. Trim off the excess, flip up the face down piece and press. You'll also have little "ears" that you'll need to clip before assembling the rows.

This is a very good scrappy project and leaves lots of nice space in the snowball to show off quilting or embroidery.

Thanks everyone for your help. It worked. hugs cheryl

So sorry for the repeat post. I dont know what happened.