Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And here's another thought....... >

And here's another thought.......

And here's another thought.......

Old 12-20-2015, 06:23 AM

I have made two quilts one for my niece and one for my new nephew. both are hung on the wall as a work of art. I was hurt at first that the babies never used them but then i realized that they were being used as a work of art till my mom makes them their paintings. I hope that in the future that they will be used. until then I will make them simpler quilts that mom doesnt have to worry about the kids ruining. I made a big girl quilt actually for my niece for Christmas. she is 2 now and its just 7" squares and a border in frozen fabric. I don't know what has become of my other quilts i have made my husbands family.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:56 PM

When I walk into Goodwill and I see children's quilts, I wonder where they came from and if the kids ever used them. They are so cheap, I just have to buy them. Who knows where some of them have been, how old the quilts actually are, and if the family if still living. It is sad, but that is life. Have a Merry Christmas, everyone.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:07 PM

I gave my grandmother a quilt and she kept it lovingly and proudly hung over the back of a chair in the living room and showed it to everyone who came into her house. I made it for her because she sat with a beach towel over her legs to keep warm and I wanted her to have something pretty to look at as she watched tv. She lost her parents early, went to work at age 13 and never had many nice things so she just couldn't bring herself to use her quilt and I was totally okay with that.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM

Love that runner! So glad it's on display. That's a great honor.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I made table runners for my friend this year. Made mug rugs last year. Here is a photo that one of my friends sent me. Wednesday, I saw another one of my gifts on a table at the entrance of their front door. You just can't think that they don't like it as Patricia mentioned above. It may be stored in a cupboard because it is so precious to them. Just be glad that it hasn't been given to their pet to use. Now what am I going to make for next Xmas???
Old 12-20-2015, 06:43 PM

I do the same with afghans - never used. I get them for about 3 $, and donate them to fostering hope, a non profit organization that provides clothes, school supplies, toys, personal hygiene items, etc. to kids in foster care. the afghans go fast because they are so soft!

Through me and Good Will, some anonymous afghan maker give kids comfort, which is what they are meant to do!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 PM

I am so guilty of not using a beautiful hand stitched and hand quilted quilt my-mother-in-law made especially for me a few weeks before she passed. And yes, it was tucked away in a closet for more than 30 years because it was special and I didn't want anything to happen to it. Well this week it dawned on me that I am 71 years old and if I don't use it soon I may never have the opportunity to do so. This being said, I now have a quilt rack installed on my guest room wall where it is now proudly displayed for my guest to see and for me to wrap up in when I need a special hug.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:34 AM

Perhaps some of the quilts are being used on beds....under the bedspread...like I do! I don't micromanage gifts once I give them. The recipient is free to do with whatever they choose. I move on.

And, please, don't hound me about gifts you have given to me. I don't appreciate being put on the spot. I have recieved plenty of gifts that I don't need, want or like. It is the thought that counts. Thank you!

As for those who want to gift quilts, make a stack of quilts and let people pick out the one they want. Most of us have quilts piled up somewhere. I know that I do! Pick one!

Sandy
Old 12-21-2015, 03:44 AM

I guess I'm lucky that (so far) I have gifted quilts to family and friends that I know will use them and it's nice to know they have done so. Then there are charity or donation quilts... but you have to hope that they are getting used and cared for.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:09 AM

When I was young (and knew nothing about quilting), my GGM made me a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt. I remember using it but have no idea what happened to that quilt. I would love to have it if only to display. As we grow older, I think we come to realize and appreciate "more" those handmade items. I do have an afghan she made (which is coming apart). I keep saying I'm going to repair it and put it out ... but for now, it is safely stored away. So I'm "guilty" of protecting and not enjoying seeing this afghan. Shame on me. Ha!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:10 AM

ManiacQuilter2......LOVE THAT TABLE RUNNER!!