Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And here's another thought....... >

And here's another thought.......

And here's another thought.......

Old 12-22-2015, 03:12 PM

I hadn't received thanks for a quilt but when I visited last Oct, I was told that the quilt arrived just after a dear friend had died and the person wrapped themselves in the quilt and mourned the death of their friend
Old 12-22-2015, 03:12 PM

I say the same thing--"This is not an Heirloom, I don't make heirlooms, this is to be used and abused and loved.
I'd have to say the most appreciated quilt I have ever gifted was an I Spy quilt-Surprised the parents the little guy loved playing I Spy!
I agree I would love to see my gifts being used and loved. I do remind myself once it's gifted it's no longer mine and let it go.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Well from the day I gave my son and DIL their wedding quilt, it has never been out of the cotton bag. I even suggested that if they didn't want it on their bed, they could hang it on their (rustic) cottage wall to help keep the room warm, but no chance. The baby quilt I made for my first grandchild's cot was, I think, used as a play mat, but I never saw it in use. However, I did make the same grandchild a Dora Cuddle Blanket about four years ago, which she loved. I think she has slightly outgrown the Dora stage, because I asked her to think about what she would like from me for Christmas and she told my son (at the beginning of December) that she would like a blanket. Yes, it's all sewn and wrapped and waiting under the Tree, and hopefully Dora will be passed to her little sister.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:44 PM

For me, I say use it and when it is worn out we can make another. For my sister who does not quilt (she is an artist), she understands how much work goes into a quilt and is afraid of wearing it out. So she does use a quilt sometimes but also puts them away so they stay in good shape.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:03 PM

The baby quilt I made for our best friends is so loved that it still graces the back of mom and dad's sofa with daughter off on her own as a 30+ professional!
The king-sized log cabin was on MIL's bed until she died and willed it to my daughter.
One that was a wedding present needed to be replaced for their 25th anniversary.
YEAH, I LIKE TO SEE THEM USED!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:02 PM

The good news is people do grow and change.

My SIL Mary was given a quilt when she got married (before my husband and I met). For the first several years, I only heard about how hideous it was. The quilt maker had asked my MIL what colors Mary liked, and was told "earth tones" without explanation. You can see it coming - Mary's idea of earth tones was different than the quilt maker's. Once I started quilting, I got very curious about it and asked Mary what it looked like. She described it as an enormous star with an awful combination of colors: green, brown, yellow, orange, and fuchsia. I asked to see it but she had it packed away deep in a closet and wasn't inclined to dig it out.

Fast forward a few years, and a couple of things happened to change her mind about that quilt. I made my MIL a version of a log cabin that contained over 9000 patches. My husband made sure she saw each piece, and how much love and time I had put into it, and told her to insure it for $7000, because that's how much it would cost to replace it. MIL bragged and proudly showed it off to everyone - including Mary. The second thing that happened was Mary went with her church group to Africa. Among the supplies that were donated to their cause was a lovely quilt. Mary took that quilt on the plane and held it on her lap, which gave her the chance to study it closely. It made her realize how much love, time, and skill goes into every quilt.

When my family went to Mary's house last month for Thanksgiving, I was surprised to find her wedding quilt on the bed in the guest room. It was a Lone Star in solid fabrics, in the colors she'd described to me, and was beautifully hand quilted. Although it's a lovely quilt, I knew immediately that the colors and pattern were not her style. But I find it wonderful that she'd grown to appreciate the time and love that the quilt maker had put into that quilt; and decided to bring it out of the closet, show it off and use it.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Have to brag on my best friend...she sends pics of every seasonal gift I gave her and she loves them!
Old 12-25-2015, 12:25 PM

I KNOW in my HEAD they are no longer mine to determine its use. Unfortunately, my HEART didn't get the memo. When I spend time and labor over an item, I despair when I see valuable fabric used as a grease rag or a dog's bed (if I had known that it would have been scraps) or wadded up and thrown into a corner. My mom made us a wedding quilt and I USED it. It was never ABUSED and that is the difference to me. Well, it is time and sun worn now and I wish it were still in one piece. However, will frame part of it for each of my kids. I know mom would be happy as she meant for it to be used. But I never abused it, ever.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Made my aunts each a set of mug rugs. They use them all the time. They hand wash them. It's just easier for them. They wash them in Woolite along with their other hand washables. I sewed pockets into them. My cousins have let me know that when they have coffee with them, cellophane wrapped cookies are usually in the pockets when served. My aunts like the lace touches. Sorry no pics. Didn't eve think.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:22 AM

LilaKay--I am in your corner. Nothing so discouraging as an unappreciative recipient. And if I don't hear from them it is the last quilt I make for them.