Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagons...what should I do w/them? >

Hexagons...what should I do w/them?

Hexagons...what should I do w/them?

Old 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Make larger ( all correct sized) ones and put your smaller ones in the center of them - then sew them together. They will make a larger quilt ( or project but will be adorable. ) no one will notice how the smaller ones don't match up
Love this idea, a great way to use up either solids or prints, whichever is opposite of your smaller hexi's. Make the larger ones big enough to give a good border of color around the smaller ones. Of course, you can also do print on print. I love scrappy quilts and can see this project becoming an amazing scrappy. LOL
Old 02-18-2017, 02:51 PM

You could, also, applique them around the outside border of a quilt. You could just embroider a simple winding line of green around the edge and then applique the single hexagons here and there next to the green line as "flowers" with maybe a button for a center.

Or use them for a child's quilt and embroider "dot" eyes and a "v" or"u" mouth on each one and make them into funny animal characters. Good Luck!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 07:47 PM

I would trim to the best of my ability, then you can use them for pot holders by sewing them onto another fabric. you could make table runners by making different blocks, use them for decorating tote bags, small quilts, etc.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Arrange them like flower petals, with spaces between them and applique them onto a plain block. Use rickrack for the stems. Or arrange them in a row, again with a bit of space in between an applique onto a plain block for a modern quilt. Vary the angle of the line and its placement on the block.
or post them on the 'offers' forum of this board, but be sure to mention the issue!
Ooh! I like this idea!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 PM

I like the applique idea. I just buy the papers. It's worth it to me! I figure it will take me about 10 years to get a quilt top done!

FREE Quilting Newsletter