Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexie questions >

Hexie questions

Hexie questions

Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am using plastic hexes called Quilt Patis. I tried the glue stick but it didn't hold. I use to baste around the hex fabric, pull it tight and tie a knot but I am now using scotch tape and it is much faster and works great. I am using 1" hex and cutting the fabric using 2.5" strip so I have an edge wider than 1/4". I cut at least 3 layers and the cutting using a template makes cutting fast.

Now who would have thunk....scotch tape...great idea! Aren't we the most creative people out there! I can hardly wait to finish my house chores so I can go to my sewing cave and try some of these great hints I just rec'd.....oh, also in my frustration I did buy the fiskar XL hexie punch on amazon...recd yesterday....cool ! The tute on quiltville is neat too, but the punches she has are no longer ....company bankrupt...saw them once on eBay, don't know if still there...probably overpriced now that "we" have made them wanted with our hexie quilt craze........

Went to goodwill and bought a box of greeting cards for .50 for punching out hexies, I have the plastic ones...bought a few yrs ago....don't like them...not flexible enough when doing the attaching...that's probably just me though.........
Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 PM

Since reading this post this a.m., I've been running around the house "scavenging" paper goods! Asking each item, "Are you strong enough to be a paper hexi?" lol! Never though I'd be so happy to find those loose cards inside magazines! Hope the color doesn't transfer to the fabric; will probably be okay if all stays dry. Love this thread!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am using plastic hexes called Quilt Patis. I tried the glue stick but it didn't hold. I use to baste around the hex fabric, pull it tight and tie a knot but I am now using scotch tape and it is much faster and works great. I am using 1" hex and cutting the fabric using 2.5" strip so I have an edge wider than 1/4". I cut at least 3 layers and the cutting using a template makes cutting fast.
I would love to see a picture tute of this method. Where do you put the tape to hold the hexy in shape?
peace
Old 06-20-2014, 04:24 PM

Today I recd the Mickey depres books on hexies...she sews strips, 2/3 together, cuts into
3 1/2" squares and strategically and very creatively places them on the hexies, sews the rosette with these as the petals..interesting..the trouble is her hexies are 1 1/2" side and now I have just finishes cutting a gazzilion 1" hexies......maybe a tablerunner of one of her design ideas......it will never end....

Last edited by Geri B; 06-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Would the "cheap" paper plates (the white ones with the "ruffled" edge) work for the hexies? Just a thought...I've been using old file folders.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:35 AM

I tried the paper plates in my pantry, but they were too thick for the punch. They are heavier than the ones with the ruffled edge. I did hit on punching index cards--and that DID seem to be about the weight of the precut pieces. Could only get three hexis to a 3x5 card, but will look for bigger ones at the Dollar Store. Really liked the weight and feel of the index cards. Will try them today and report back!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:42 PM

Just stopping by to say I really like the index-card hexi. Not slippery nor too light nor too heavy. Just right!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:18 AM

Off to goodwill to see if any index cards there for .49..........
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 AM

I found a package of card stock for scrap booking at Tuesday Morning for 99 cents I think I got 35-40 1" hexies from each sheet. You just have to turn the paper, not much waste.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I buy new paper for making hexies. It's handier to have a stack of cardstock to use when I need it.