Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hexies, diamonds, triangles, handpiecing, etc >

hexies, diamonds, triangles, handpiecing, etc

hexies, diamonds, triangles, handpiecing, etc

Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Default hexies, diamonds, triangles, handpiecing, etc

I notice that all the tutorials for working with the above shapes call for templates and either basting or gluing the 1/4 inch edges under then assembling them stitching the folded edges together. Does anyone know why this method is used and why these shapes should not be machine or hand sewn like regular piecing? I am having good results hand sewing the flat seams together in the regular fashion. Looking forward to seeing the discussion on this. Thanks, anna
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

i machine sewed tumblers and also hexagons by machine. if they are not half hex's you 'd have Y seams. But yes that can be done.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

The paper templates make sure the shapes are perfectly aligned and smooth. I use to handsew hexies without papers and it is easy but eventually the shapes become out of alignment. A small design it doesn't make that much of a difference but if you plan on making a large pattern it will matter. Many use the papers cut to shape so not to have to cut the fabric to shape, just fold over the template.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 AM

skipping a step u pay for sometimes in end, shape being out of alignment, gramma always said stictch in time saves nine.........I would make sure my handy work not In vain
Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaPf View Post
I notice that all the tutorials for working with the above shapes call for templates and either basting or gluing the 1/4 inch edges under then assembling them stitching the folded edges together.

They do? Damn, one more thing the quilting police is going to arrest me for!

I've been happily sewing diamonds together for an argyle quilt by machine, no problems there. I also intend to make a quilt with 60° triangles in the future, also by machine, without templates, heck, not even a special ruler!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I assume the poster is referring to the small inch size shapes as why they are sewn with paper.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:58 PM

Personal preference. Use whatever technique you like best.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 PM

Then there is also the issue with some of those edges being on the bias. Having them attached to a template reduces the possibility of having the pieces of fabric become misshapen with handling. But ultimately it is personal preference.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 PM

Feathers-n-Fur is right - it just depends on what you want to do.

When I first found hexagons I tried to make the flowers by machine and it was just so much more work. I like hand sewing and were I worked at the time we used to work on our projects at break and lunch. Then the idea came out to sew the hexies with the triangles so you are sewing in a straight line and I have done several of these - they make great "I Spy" quilts. Haven't done much with diamonds yet. I have been making a tumbling block by hand, it is another "I Spy" and it gets worked on from time to time when I am traveling. Let's just say I have lost track of the years it has been in production. My first GFG from start to finish by hand was 10 years. But that was because I was never happy with the colors so kept making more flowers. So I have a king size quilt done and not sure how many left over flowers. But there is enough for a good size throw if I ever get a mind to just do it.

Funny you mentioned triangles - it never occurred to me they would be done by EPP. But have not thought of making one yet.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

i've done it without paper, but when you start to have bias edges, the paper really helps.
I have bias edges b/c sometimes i like to ctr a design