Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexies >

Hexies

Hexies

Old 04-18-2014, 03:35 AM

I've learned how to make them without the basting. I draw around the edges of the paper template, trim the edges of the fabric to about 1/4", then apply a glue stick to the seam allowance, fold over, press it down with my fingers, sew them together as usual. It works well, takes less time than basting the fabric to the paper template, & is easier on the fingers/hands. Just a tip you might try. BTW, the glues tick is a washable one that comes out in the wash. Very easy.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

many years ago, 40 or so, i remember reading about making the GFG by drawing the sewing line on the fabric and lining up the sewing lines and sewing through both layers, much the same as most hand piecing. i think i'd rather use the template to ensure the regular sizing of the hexies.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
Carrie, you can breathe easy about hexies. There are no Y seams in sewing them together.

Hexies are placed right sides together with the paper foundation left inside. Hand stitch the edges together. They will all be nested together when you finish.

I am making a Grandmother Flower Garden top. You can Google this and see how they are pieced together.

Good luck.
I went and bought a Hexie acrylic template last night. It will sit for a little while, until i get caught up with other things. Having it will motivate me to do it. It's amazing how fast i have UFO's piling up. I want to do everything and as soon as there's a reason to wait on one project i feel the need to start the next.

I better knock out some things before i tackle this one. I am excited though!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 AM

I love doing hexes.I printed out the one inch hexes on the back recycled note paper I had.It is heavier than regular paper but not as heavy as card stock. I cut them out while watching tv. I then using a paper punch put a hole in the center.I use a straight pin the fabric through the hole.As you can see I make about 4 stitches at each corner. I carry the blue fabric wallet as my take along, in my purse. The tote is for the camper or car travel.[ATTACH=CONFIG]472109[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]472110[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]472111[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]472112[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]472113[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]472114[/ATTACH]As you can see my hexes are scraps.No rhyme nor reason.They will just be hand sewn together willy nilley. I use a tweezers to take out the papers.I reuse them as I do not sew through the paper.Hope this helps. judy j
Attached Thumbnails april-2014-101.jpg   april-2014-100.jpg   april-2014-099.jpg   april-2014-102.jpg   hexes-001.jpg  

hexes-002.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 AM

I just had an awesome AHA! moment. I totally get it now.

What about finishing the edges? Binding or do you use more hexies on the back edge?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 AM

I have done a few small projects with hexies and am currently working on a wallhanging. Don't know when I will get it done but it is a great take along project. I use old greeting cards and the magazine ad inserts to make my hexies. I also use glue stick to baste them, I was basting them with thread but decided to try the glue stick and it is so much faster and once the pieces are sewn they are very easy to pull out. Yes they are a slow process but very relaxing and can be worked on almost any where. I get a lot done waiting for my grandsons to come out of school and waiting in doctors offices with my mother in law. I find them very relaxing .

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
For those of you who are working with the hexies - do you use paper pieces for the base or card stock in Hexie punched shapes? I'm probably not making myself clear, but I've read so many different methods of achieving the end result: Bonnie Hunter and others use a paper punch similar to those used by scrap bookers, some duplicate Hexie grids onto regular copy paper, some have plastic Hexie discs which pop out of the completed Hexie for reuse, and Accuquilt now has two different dies for hexies - one of which cuts both the paper pattern and the slightly larger fabric shape. I realize that in the end it's the same results, but I'm interested in what Y'ALL use. Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM

That is beautiful....I love it!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM

The last two issues of Quiltmaker magazine have projects using hexies. The current one, May - June, has an adorable sheep wall hanging made entirely of hexies. It's strip pieced by using rhombus pieces, so there is a center seam on each hexagon. The finished hexes are about 4". There was a reversible table runner in the March - April issue, too. I am planning to do the table runner, but will do all shades of green on one side, arranging them so I have a shamrock shape so I can use it for St. Patrick's Day. I am planning to use tiny floral prints for the other side, around which the green hexes will fold so it will look sort of like leaves, or at least greenery. Gotta finish some other projects first, though!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:18 PM

AuntPiggylpn... I LOVE it!!! Joysewer... I LOVE yours too!!! I am currently working on a GFG EPP style that I started in March in preparation of being laid up for awhile post-op after surgery for cancer in my thigh. So far, I have more than 15 "blocks" done with a center and 2 rounds of assorted colors. I love the idea of another round of white/neutral and then a consistent color to tie it all together...
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
For those of you who are working with the hexies - do you use paper pieces for the base or card stock in Hexie punched shapes? I'm probably not making myself clear, but I've read so many different methods of achieving the end result: Bonnie Hunter and others use a paper punch similar to those used by scrap bookers, some duplicate Hexie grids onto regular copy paper, some have plastic Hexie discs which pop out of the completed Hexie for reuse, and Accuquilt now has two different dies for hexies - one of which cuts both the paper pattern and the slightly larger fabric shape. I realize that in the end it's the same results, but I'm interested in what Y'ALL use. Thanks
I am fortunate enough to work in a high school with a "die cut room" -- I use freezer paper and cut out 1" hexies. I actually bought some 3 ring binder dividers this past week and cut them into hexies to use. I tried them, they are heat resistant on the fabric side of the hexie, but will melt if the iron touches them. I want to try to make a sample "flower" and see if they turn out the same size before I convert my whole quilt to them, but it was something that someone suggested, and I figured it was wortht a try!