Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hiding Fabric Purchases >

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
Won't work here, we online bank and he sees everything, plus we only have 1 car now and are jooined at the hip. Then there is the limited income. At least he is indulgent to a point. :thumbup:
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 AM

I know exactly how you feel about that fabric "high". I love it too.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 AM

I don't hide it from my DH because like some of you he is taking me to the fabric stores so he knows when I buy. He sometimes does ask if I am able to use some of what I have in my stash and I am able to truefully answer yes to this question. He encourages me to buy when there is a going out of business sale and I can get the things I need at a good price.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 AM

My hubby has his hobby...beer and wine making. And tells me what he is getting and I have mine. Scrapbooking and quilting..and I tell/show him mine new stuff. Because I have soo much scrapbooking material, I am really trying to limit my fabrics to just those that I need for a project. I don't want to become a fabric hoarder. ;)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Sometimes I feel guilty buying too much, but he really doesn't care. If he's not here when the mail comes, I just put it in my sewing room.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 AM

It is the other way around in my family. My husband hides things from me. I am the keeper of the check book and I see his paypal expenses. His purchases so far exceed mine that I never worry about what I buy.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM

It is the talk at the cuttting table,how mare you going to sneak this one in? Seems like everyone who buys fabric{Fabric Junkies} has the same problem, how do I get it in. Suggestions?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 AM

Being on a tight budget, I used to feel guilty buying fabric so, yes, I would try to hide it. But, since I started selling my bags and accessory items, hubby doesn't mind at all.

He never said anything before anyway - it was my personal issue. But, then I realized that if he spent his allowance (we take an allowance from our soc.sec. each month) however he wants, why can't I. Guilt is gone.

Now, he likes to open my packages of fabric that comes in the mail.

He's even getting passed those quilts, etc. that I give away. I guess there's hope for him LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 AM

The first step to recovery is admiting you have a problem... "wink wink" I'm in the process of moving. We should be in the new house this weekend. My husband picked the house, in the country, in an 'airport park'. He will have an AIRPLANE HANGER for his projects. The house has an office with built in double desk and cupboards to the ceiling. Guess what I plan on doing there. And I asked if a quilt machine would fit on a corner of the hanger.

My sister gave me two orange boxes of fabric to bring home from Idaho. One was from my late mothers stash(miss you momma) the other box was filled from her own stash. My hubby rented a uhaul trailer because I was also bringing my dear MotherInLaw's stash of 50 years. I will be making her grandchildren each a quilt from her(29) of them...

You are all such an encouragement to me. I'm soooo glad I found this site. Thank YOU!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 AM

Maybe he hides golf purchases the same way! You could always both 'fess up and decide on a splurge/slush fund! But maybe that would spoil it for everybody!