Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hiding quilting threads

Question hiding quilting threads

When hiding the threads after machine quilting, is it always necessary to tie a knot before hiding it in the batting or can you just hide it without knotting the two threads together?

rather than knot them, try using a Cheater Needle to run the threads through the middle.
    Liz / Calgary

I use a cheater needle also, but I mainly do small quilts that won't be washed.
    Penny aka PLS 1946

I also just use a needle and then kind of weave the thread into the batting. So far, seems to work for me. Sometimes I just make a few tiny, in place stitches when beginning or ending a line of quilting. I obviously don't do "show quilts", just do FMQ on quilts for my family and I get alot of satisfaction from being able to quilt my own quilts.

If you bury your stitches not only in the batting, but through a couple of the quilting lines and then reverse direction before you pull your needle up and clip the threads, they will stay through everything you do to the quilt from then on.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Yes, if you are just starting or ending a line of stitches at normal stitch length without otherwise securing your threads, then you need to knot the threads before burying them, or they will not be secure. Another possibility is to take lots of tiny stitches when you start and stop, and then you don't have to bury the threads.

Thanks for all the answers. I have always just did a few tiny stiches and back stitches to start and end. And I have only ever done SITD. I never knew what bringing up the bobbin thread and hiding the stitches was until reading about and wanting to learn to FMQ. Hiding them is a very nice finish without the little bumps. I will defintely try it.

Banned
    The "Spiral Needle" is great for hiding the end threads. Just easy thread and weave back into the batting/inner layer.

I do long arm quilting and have found after doing quite a few knot and bury finishes you get to be quite fast at it. I use a doll needle to bury the knot and knot each section before advancing the quilt. I would think doing a section before moving the quilt to a new area would work well when doing fmq.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Started out hand quilting, and you always knot and bury, so never even thought of not burying the machine threads in the same way as the hand threads. Now you have me thinking--can you see the smoke?
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast