Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hiding threads with MQ

I always made sure to start and end my MQ with tiny stitches, and thereafter hide the beginning and ending threads by embedding them in the quilt sandwich. However, there were occasions I couldn't end my MQ with tiny stitches due to unforeseen circumstances such as thread snapping etc. I still made sure to hide those threads in the quilt sandwich though. Will my stitches be secured in such instances?

I know some quilters don't even hide their stitches. They merely snip off the ends of the thread after locking them with tiny stitches. Is this something safe to do?

what is mq?
    dar

if I don't get to end the stitching in a secure way I add a drop of fray check, once dry it's washable and so far has not let me down.

if my thread breaks i remove a few stitches going back and bury it in the quilt sandwich and i put fray check to be safe.

Banned
    I also "unsew" a few stitches and tie them off.

I always have tails of about 6" that I tie a knot in and bury between the quilt sandwich. I personally don't like the look of the small stitches to tack down.

Is there a special tool you use to help you bury the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by liviamarie3
    Is there a special tool you use to help you bury the thread?
    I use a self-threading needle, the kind that you pop the thread through a small slot in the top. Works really well. I tried that new needle they are advertising that you can thread without looking, but after 1/2 a quilt it had a definite curve to it, so I'll stick with the much less expensive self-threading needles. Any LQS, Wal-Mart or JoAnn's should have them. I tie the threads like I would tie off a balloon, really close to the top of the quilt.

Thank you so much! I just finished my son's quilt and just made knots everywhere....wish I hadn't and am scared to wash it! I am machine quilting my daughter's quilt now and am sewing around some applique and knew there had to be a better way!! I was using the little thing that helps you thread the needle but its so flimsy. Anyways....thanks again! now I have to make another run to the store!