Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hinterberg Original or Grace SR-2 >

Hinterberg Original or Grace SR-2

Hinterberg Original or Grace SR-2

Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 AM

Default Hinterberg Original or Grace SR-2

I have a Juki98QE with the 9" throat that I use for FMQ. However, it's gotten to the point that my shoulders just won't take the constant tension to create a pattern or the pushing/pulling of the fabric. I'm looking at investing in a frame to put my Juki on. I don't want anything big s the biggest quilt I'd quilt myself is probably a crib quilt or a small throw. I mainly want one that I can do table toppers, crib quilts, table runners, etc. on. I've been looking at two. The Hinterberg Original machine Quilting Frame or the Grace SR-2 Quilting Frame. I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about either one of these that may help me to make my decision.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Not sure about the machine/frame, but you do realize that with a frame, you still have pulling/pushing?
It's just that you're moving the machine vs the frame.
While it's a different kind of tension, it's still tension producing sometimes.
And usually involves standing too.... just so you know....
Old 03-03-2016, 04:59 PM

I have a Tiara. It is a sit down quilt machine.the only problem I have when doing a large quilt Queen,K ing. Is the weight. Then I need tables on both side of me. Still better than a regular sewing machine.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:15 PM

I don't have an opinion about these frames, but I have a grace frame that I like very much. I understand about fmq on a dsm. I much prefer frame quiting. Even standing and loading a quilt is much easier on me than pushing a quilt through a machine. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

You might want to try to find shops/ dealers/ friends,( guild members?), shows, who have frame systems you could try out before choosing. Sit downs you still move the fabric around, stand ups you move the machine -- either way there is still strain on the shoulders & back. Hopefully you can try out a few different set ups and find the one that is going to be best for you.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 AM

My friend has the Hinterberg frame for a mid arm and likes it. It was the only one she could fit into her room, hence her choice. I have a longarm and would advise you to buy the most sturdy frame you can, because vibration isn't fun while you're quilting. You also must be able to level the entire thing so the machine doesn't drift and so your patterns don't get skewed. Mine is a Gammill, with very heavy steel, well made and stable.