Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hints needed for applying binding to quilted potholders

Hints needed for applying binding to quilted potholders

I am going to make 2 types of quilted pot holders for Christmas. Can anyone share tips for applying binding. Last time I made something small with binding on a curve it just didn't seem to lay flat so I gave up. Does using a binding foot help?
    Thanks
    Kathy

Look up the Sewing With Nancy site - she has a whole show devoted to making pot holders.

Thanks, I will definitely check it out
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    If you're binding around curves, be sure to use bias binding. I don't know if you already are using bias, but that's the only way I can go around curves and make them look right.

Blog Entries
    Did you use bias binding? To bind curves, the fabric has to hug the curve, and straight of grain binding won't do that.
    Nancy in western NY

VAL and Nancy-I haven't cut out the binding yet. I'll definitely make sure that's what I use. I think the instructions tell me how to cut it out. Does yours typically lay flat and do you need a lot of pins. Last time I used the binding in a pack, but this time I'm going to cut it out myself. I'm keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed. I wish the new board didn't separate the words. I didn't hit the return key after the o in out or after the t in after. Is it me or happening to others too. Maybe because I'm using my tablet. I've just never had it happen with the old board
    Kathy

I used the binding from joanns and just use my walking foot and slowly curve around it and have had no problems on my machine, if it is straight I use the binding foot, but cant figure out curves on that thing so usually end up using the walking foot

Thanks for all of your tips
    Kathy