Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
History of Quilt Blocks >

History of Quilt Blocks

History of Quilt Blocks

Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Swing in the Center is from square dancing.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I am in the process of making a quilt for the Susan G. Komen Three Day Breast Cancer Walk (second time around - made one last year - raffled off - $5.00 each or 5 tickets for $20.00 - made scads of money). This year I am in the process of making a Sampler Quilt and I always write a book with my quilt, talking about the weather, news, sports, little sayings or adages, jokes, hints and what's going on around our home, a little bit about Miss Bess, our dog, please note sweet puppy at left sitting on a baby quilt! Anyhow, to the point -- I would like to know if there is a book or a website, something from the library that would let me tell the story of the quilt block. I am doing a 35 block quilt. "Clay's Choice" has a political meaning, "Churn Dash" has a home life/farm life meaning and I would like to have a story behind each of my blocks. I know some of them never had a name, and that names have changed throughout the years, but I would like to know which ones they are and be able to work it so that when the person that wins the quilt and gets the book can lay the quilt on the floor and look at the blocks and know that there is a story behind each block. That is my plan - I have seven blocks done so far, which means 28 to go and a lot of research to go with it. I have until May to get this done so it can go on display and tickets can be purchased until August when it will be raffled off.

Any help anyone can give me would be so appreciated. If I should write down the names of the blocks I am making, I can do that and put that in here, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. Edie

Look up a bride's quilt. Most of of the old standards use in one have a story about their name. Might help a bit. Or maybe go to Wikipedia--------------the story you get may or may not be accurate, however.