Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: History of Women and Sewing from the 1890s-1930s

In a recent exchange on the 'mending' topic, someone suggested that this fascinating read by Sarah Gordon be moved to a main topic. Here it is:

There is a fascinating book (actually a Rutgers University PhD history department dissertation) by Sarah Gordon on women and sewing entitled "Sew It Yourself--Home Sewing, Gender, & Culture 1890-1930. Embedded in the online.pdf are oral interviews with a number of women sewers who recall their own sewing experiences in their youth or their mother's or grandmother's. You can find it here:
    http://www.gutenberg-e.org/gordon/acknowledge.html

At 5 chapters it's on the long side, but I think many of the responders to marymild's thread would enjoy it.

P.S. My grandmother, beautifully skilled in needlework but *not* a quilter, got her master's degree in home economics in the late 1800s--the title of her thesis was "The potential for the Use of Electricity in the Home." Another era for sure.

Blog Entries
    Never mind! I see another topic about this, again Thanks so much!