Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hmm, maybe a new direction? >

Hmm, maybe a new direction?

Hmm, maybe a new direction?

Old 03-22-2014, 05:40 AM

Default Hmm, maybe a new direction?

Yesterday I was at Joann fab and looking at mags decided to buy Quilty..something inside caught my eye, then further down the rack saw something in Easy Quilts (F&P) so bought that too. Came home and sat to leaf thru the mags..and you know what! There are a few in each of the mags that I might try......maybe not all solid as most of the moderns are, but a combo of that plus some prints....they appear to be easy....more squares and recs, strips than very intense matching of seams, but that may prove to be wrong! But, I did notice, that in the how to do of one of the Quilty patterns what I know as HSTs were being referred to as " triangle squares"--- a new term? I have not bought any mags in awhile,so maybe it has been called that before.....just wanted to share this new "maybe" with you.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I have not heard that term yet but couple times different squares have had different names and I got confused.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:35 AM

Ive run across it before.
There is a magazine out that I love. It is called Quilt It Today and it was $3.99. Even sent for a subscription it is so good.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:59 AM

My only magazine now is "Quilter's Newsletter". Used to get all of them, had to choose my favorite one, so I chose "QN". I used to get a magazine called "The Foundation Piecer", but it went under. Will want to look at the new "Block" magazine from Missouri Star when I can.

Anita
Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM

In reality, a triangle square is the result of joining two half square triangles (hst's) and is defined as such in all of my older basic quilting books. It's a much more accurate term for what most people now refer to as HST's.

It's not a new term at all and is frequently used in class instruction and personal conversations. If most of your quilting 'connections' are visual instead of verbal, it's understandable that you may not have run across it before this. I suspect 'HST' became an acceptable, though inaccurate, substitute as a result of message boards and blogs simply because it's much faster to type than 'triangle squares'.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 AM

yep, ghostrider explained it well...per usual ;-)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM

I love love love Jenny Doan's (MSQC) new "Block" magazine. You might want to check it out. It is more like a book than a magazine, and has NO ads whatsoever!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

The first time I heard the term "half square triangles" - my poor literal mind almost went into a meltdown.

I knew perfectlyv well how to construct a square unit from two 45-45 - 90 degree triangles.

But how in the world would one make a triangle half square.? I totally missed the step about dividing a square in half DIAGONALLY.

I still think HST is an inaccurate descrption.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 AM

Thanks, Ghostrider, for your great explanation!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM

Default "Bloc"

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
Thanks, Ghostrider, for your great explanation!
I also have Bloc, it is fabulous. I am going to one of Jenny Doan's retreats this summer, can hardly wait. From the Quilting Fool.