Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hobbs

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,527
    For the first time today I bought some Hobbs 100% cotton. It seems like to me that it has more stretch to it than the warm and natural. But the warm and natural that I have is a blended so I guess maybe that is why?
    What do you like the best?

  2. #2
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,963
    Warm and natural is my choice.

  3. #3
    Super Member Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,817
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    For the first time today I bought some Hobbs 100% cotton. It seems like to me that it has more stretch to it than the warm and natural. But the warm and natural that I have is a blended so I guess maybe that is why?
    What do you like the best?
    I haven't used Hobbs 100% cotton, but do use Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton. Warm and Natural is needlepunched through a scrim, making it super-stable (but with a slightly stiffer drape than battings without a scrim). MMBR is not needlepunched and does not have a scrim; the Hobbs may be similar. Quilter's Dream is a 100% cotton batting that is needlepunched, but not through scrim. It is more stable than MMBR but not as stable as WnN.

    I love using 100% cotton because cotton gets softer with every washing. The softness and drape actually get better year after year because of this.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    I've used the Hobbs 100% cotton recently. It's very easy to hand quilt through, but it's also prone to get torn. Parts of the batting that are not covered by the fabric at the edges of the quilt really look frazzeld after a few hours of quilting in a hoop. I love using cotton batting but I prefer the needlepunched brands like Quilter's Dream, Tuscany and Legacy. The Hobbs 80/20 is much more stable and works out fine, too.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I've used the Hobbs 100% cotton recently. It's very easy to hand quilt through, but it's also prone to get torn. Parts of the batting that are not covered by the fabric at the edges of the quilt really look frazzeld after a few hours of quilting in a hoop. I love using cotton batting but I prefer the needlepunched brands like Quilter's Dream, Tuscany and Legacy. The Hobbs 80/20 is much more stable and works out fine, too.
    The Hobbs that I have is the Tuscany. It seems like it had a little stretch to it.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterj

    The Hobbs that I have is the Tuscany. It seems like it had a little stretch to it.
    It stretches more than the W&N - but in my experience it is easier to hand quilt. The Tuscany didn't make any problems at all and it stays stable, no frazzling at all.

  7. #7
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    194
    I have only used warm and natural

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.