Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby question... >

Hobby Lobby question...

Hobby Lobby question...

Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by geevee View Post
Are you only looking in the store? They sell fabrics online as well, maybe you could look on their site and see if it's there.
I found what might be the right fabric online at Hobby Lobby. It is the only dark purple they have. I am trying to convince myself it might be the right one. The fact that our local store had four purples that were close worries me.

But, I use a lot of purple, so I think I will just order it up and see if I get lucky.

Here is a picture of my quilt, where it is now. It is the dark purple background I am looking for. I have decided I want to enlarge the quilt by having more of the background color, then a small border of a medium purple, and then another outer border of the dark purple. Though I might be wiser to just bind it as it is, as the pattern suggests...

Thanks for all the help.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8003056.jpg  
Old 10-21-2016, 02:28 AM

I think it is spectacular without more borders. It makes its own statement, more borders would complicate it.
Just my opinion.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:46 AM

No help with the fabric but can't help but comment on your ribbons! Congratulations on so many winning quilts!
Old 10-21-2016, 04:01 AM

Several years ago I had a friend who worked in the fabric department of Hobby Lobby. At that time they reordered bolts as needed, but they also got what she called "send outs", which came from headquarters supposedly randomly. Those bolts were a one time deal for each store.

Since you are looking for a solid, I would think that would not be a "send out", but would instead be a staple. Unfortunately if you consider how Hobby Lobby has such a manual style cash register system, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to keep up with inventory. Do they just collect the cardboards once the bolts are empty and then place an order periodically?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Beautiful Quilt, I wouldn't use borders, it stands on it's own without a frame.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
No help with the fabric but can't help but comment on your ribbons! Congratulations on so many winning quilts!

Aren't you sweet. I have been very lucky in the ribbon department. There are 6 more behind the door. What I like about my ribbons is that I use only SITD when I quilt, and when I first started quilting, 6 years ago, I was told I could never win in a Quilt Show unless I did fancier quilting. Luckily, I don't really have a competitive bone in my body and enter my quilts as more of an expanded Show and Tell thing.

But if a judge wants to give me ribbons, I can live with that...

Dina
Old 10-21-2016, 05:54 AM

No matter what you decide to do, that looks to be a "winner" quilt and a real beauty of one too.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:01 AM

Hobby Lobby will order it for you and you don't have to buy the whole bolt
Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 AM

I buy from there quite often. If it is a solid color, they always have the same. The only thing you have to watch is the dye. It might be a little lighter or darker.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Clmay View Post
I buy from there quite often. If it is a solid color, they always have the same. The only thing you have to watch is the dye. It might be a little lighter or darker.
I think this is what happened. The purples there now are not exactly a match, but I am going to go back and re-audition them. I think one was pretty close and will be close enough.

Thanks!

Dina