Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Holding fabric still to cut >

Holding fabric still to cut

Holding fabric still to cut

Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I saw a post a couple of months ago on a thread here and I am cutting my strips backward. It is a little awkward leaning a new technique but with the 6"x24" ruler completely on the fabric, I find it is not slipping as much any more. I use a smaller ruler to line up for measuring the width of the cut. The way I learned to cut, most of the ruler is sitting on the rotary cutting mat and only the width of the cut had the ruler on the fabric. Hope this makes sense. I also have Omnigrip rulers
I can't begin to imagine cutting with the desired width entirely free of the ruler. That's how I square up the edges, but I would never cut useable pieces that way. There'd be no way to know if you were 'off' even minutely once you put blade to fabric. Do you have a link to the thread for that discussion?

I use a 24" long ruler, line the fabric fold up on the mat, line the ruler up perpendicular to the fold, walk my hand up the length as I cut, never cut more than 4 layers, and only have one fold in the fabric. My rulers are Olfa Frosted Advantage.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 AM

I cover the backs of my rulers with InvisiGRIP and when I really need my ruler to stay in position, I add a Gypsy Gripper. When squaring up yardage before cutting patches, I usually use a 6" x 24" ruler. The V that ends up in your strip has more to do with how square the fabric edges are, and less to do with your ruler slipping:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478248[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cutting-strips-qb.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

I won't use a ruler without the Quilter's Slide Lock. It stops all ruler and fabric slippage but the main reason is the safety. I have the Alto Quilt Cut II and a Go die cut machine and the different sizes of June Taylor Strip cut rulers. I get the V more times then not with all of them except the Go.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM

My usual ruler is the 6" x 24" also, with the invisifilm to keep it from slipping. I find that I have to have at least one finger (usually my pinkie) NOT on the ruler, but on the cutting mat, to get more stability. I also walk my fingers up the ruler for longer cuts - ensuring that I'm not cutting where my hand is stabilizing the ruler.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:27 AM

Before having a bone removed from my wrist I purchased a ruler from Australia which has a black piece at the back which slides to the correct place and then tighten by two screws. I then. Put an old iron on top to keep still. Worked well. Also ruler makes cutting very accurate.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Deb watkins;6747815]First of all, align the salvages and the folded edge so there aren't any wonky edges at the fold, then the 5 x 18 ruler works best for me when I cut.[/QUOTE

For me this is the most important step. If fabric is not align it won't cut straight. Before I put fabric on cutting mat I hold it up and play with it,move back & forth, until it lines up.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 AM

I've had fabric move the minute you put the ruler down on it. Lycra is very slippery, and I used a lot of it at one time. If I get totally annoyed with it, I use drafting tape to tape the fabric to the cutting mat same way as I did for Lycra. Drafting tape leaves no residue.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:29 AM

For a long time I could not understand why I always had a V when I cut folded material. My ruler was not straight. Got a new one, no more V's.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 AM

I make my first cut with the fabric folded only in half, with at least a 6 X 24 ruler lined up with the fold on the fabric so that anything on the right gets cut off. (I'm right handed.) Then I fold that in half again and turn it around so that the cut edge is on the left. Now I lay my ruler on the fabric the width I want to cut it. (Be sure to look up and down the entire length.)
Now I place my cutter about two to three inches above the bottom edge and cut back toward myself. This keeps that edge from getting distorted. Then continue the cut, moving the other hand as necessary with the cutting wheel held in place while you move.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 AM

I use a 24" x 6" ruler with grip strips. I only fold my fabric once as I use to get slight dog legs when I folded it more. For smaller pieces I have a 61/2" x 12" ruler with grip strips.