Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine? >

For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine?

For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine?

Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Default For Home Machine Quilting, which brand machine?

For the first time I am considering getting a new home sewing machine that has a wide bed so that I can use it for machine quilting. I don't know what price range I will consider. What do you recommend? Also, do you recommend staying away from something?Thank you!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 PM

there are a lot of wide bed machines on the market at variable price points. You first need to set a budget of how much you are willing to spend. Brand name isn't as much important as choosing a good dealer and test driving. Most brands have excellent high end to mid-range machines. There are a lot of popular straight stitch mechanical machine that people swear by that can run you about 6-700 and almost all the brands carry a model in this range(most I think are manufactured by juki). Then there are expensive machines with wider harps that can run you 2k and up to 5K with all the bells and whistles. Everyone will recommend their favorite brand because they have it and love it but everyone's needs are different. So I would first make a budget, 2nd write down all the features you are looking for (what the machine is for, wide harp, needle down, needle threader, thread cutter, speed control, whether or not stitch regulator is something you might want to add on later, etc), 3rd test drive different brands makes and models, 4th make sure you choose the right dealer(you don't want a good machine but a crappy dealer). My machine is very pricey but I do everything on it from sewing, quilting, embroidery and it does everything well, but I wouldn't invest in that kind of machine if I solely only wanted it for FMQ. If I just wanted a machine for just FMQ I would invest in the straight stitch machines
Old 03-30-2016, 09:08 PM
Banned

Out of all my machines my favorite go to machine for quilting is a vintage Brother end loading straight stitch machine set into a cabinet. I never have tension issues with it, it takes any thread I want to use and it free motions like a dream.

Cari
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 PM

My favourite is my juki. It is the basic model and only does a straight stitch which is limiting to other patchwork sewing. I have a Bernina 440nq for fancy stitches which has a small harp. Both these are heavy machines and don't move far when quilting. I do have a husqvana Viking 100h which is my light weight machine for classes. This runs all over the place if I try quilting with it.
you need to have weight in a machine to hold it still but I'm sure as you only mention one machine you will be looking at stitches as well. Juki and bernina have these machines but price you can pay will have a say.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:32 AM

Love my vintage Singer 301A. Do all my quilts with it. No computer trouble, no plastic gears to break. Easy to maintain and service at home.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I use a Brother 1500. It has long harp, mechanical, easy to operate, and the price is pocket money, no need to save forever to get one.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Dolphyngrl has it - we all have our favorites. They may not turn out to be right for you. Take her advice and see what you like best. I like FMQ best on my dinky Costco version mechanical Brother. Tiny harp. But that is not for everybody. Probably not for anyone but me! I do have some nice vintage machines too. Also not for everybody
Old 03-31-2016, 05:06 AM

Try out a Janome 7700.....
Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I have two 9" throat machines. I use them for Piecing and FMQ. If I ever need to buy another I would like one with a larger throat and speed control.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

There are lots of various sewing machines out there. You just have to make a list of the options you want, just like buying a car. I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530 that I bought in the late 90s. A big throat never kept me from quilting queen size quilts and winning awards with my quilts. To me, it is the matter of having great support for the quilt.