Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Home quilting machine and frame >

Home quilting machine and frame

Home quilting machine and frame

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maribeth
I also have the Babylock Quilter's Choice Pro, an amazing machine I use now exclusively for piecing and quilting small items, just, for me, it is to short a throat for me to quilt anything large. Now this may just be a personal issue, I know many others have quilted king size quilts on this little workhorse.
If I had my choice (i.e. could afford it!!), I would use the Babylock just for piecing, and would get a mid-arm 17". My friend got a Tin Lizzie last year and loves it!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

If I had my choice (i.e. could afford it!!), I would use the Babylock just for piecing, and would get a mid-arm 17". My friend got a Tin Lizzie last year and loves it!!!
You and me both!!! Some day my ship will come in...Or I will win the lottery.... :D:D:D
Old 12-10-2009, 06:34 AM

I started with the B-Line studio frame and Brother 1500, now the machine is for sale with the Hinterberg stand up frame. I upgraded 2 years ago to Handiquilter 16 on the B-Line. The HQ frame is still in the box.
I LOVE my HQ.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

I have the Megaquilter by Husqvarna on a Grace Pinnacle frame. I have been enjoying making many different size quilts, but the shorter throat is challenging. I have only had the machine since August and would love to move up to a Tin Lizzie with a deeper throat.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Hi,

I put together the small version viking megaquilter with the gracie next generation frame.

The viking is about the same as the janome 1600, just different plastic on the front, I think made by the same company.

The next generation frame is 4 rails, 120" (ten feet) long.

I made leaders to total 115 inches. That should hold a queen size quilt.

Your question about length is to turn the long side of your quilt left to right so you don't put so many layers of rolled quilt into the machine throat.

I can comfortably quilt up to 105 inches left to right, because the bunjee cord tension clamps on the right and left sides of my quilt back bump into the machine carriage when I get to within 3-5 inches of the edge.

If I have to sneak another inch or two, I unclamp the edge when I get really close and drive with one hand while steadying the quilt edge with the other.

Not the best, but cheaper than the alternative.

So far, I really like my machine frame and machine.

Keep shopping and comparing features!

Give me a shout if you think I might be of any help.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:23 PM

I do! the machine and frame are OK but the 5 in designs are some times a problem the bigger designs wont work that limits your creativity. you need to have fun quilting limits are not fun i would love to have a deep throat machine.i also would like the PC quilter looking for a used one no luck cant even fined a dealer in mo even if the jaomie is a good machine i rally want deeper throat machine
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 PM

I have a Janome 1600, and a Grace frame. I think it works great for small quilts, I don't think I would try a queen size. There just wouldn't be enough room on the throat by the time you got to the end. Besides, I'd much rather send it out and have someone else wrestle with a big quilt.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:54 PM

I am considering a new Husqvarna Saphire 830 machine with a 10" throat. I have a new homemade frame and can't quilt a Baptist Fan design I just marked my latest king sized quilt top with because it's too large for my 6 7/8" Pfaff. The Saphire is only $899, but I don't want to throw money away if it's not going to do the job. Is anyone happy quilting with a 9" or 10" machine on a rolling frame, or is it still too small and frustrating?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 PM

My mega quilter is only 9" and it is a pain for bigger quilts. I am seriously looking into a babylock or something similar.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

i don't do queen or king very often so it pays for me to rent studio time on a long arm instead of struggling with it on my sewing machine setup.

it costs $20 an hour on a HQ16 and they have all the bells and whistles and i didn't have to lay out the cash for it.