Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 AM

I have noticed too many times, how beautiful things are in the store. I noticed a beautiful baby blanket with embrodiery in the store yesterday, just adorable. I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap. My cost vs the dept store cost. Anyone else feel like this?I did read where more people are going back to making gifts to save money! Is it really saving? I know I make gifts because I want too, but how smart is it I wonder at times.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE HM gifts! I dont think you are wasting your time at all!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 AM

You are only wasting your time if there is no enjoyment in what you are creating. You can buy anything in a store. But the caring and passion cannot be purchased. If your motives are True then you create MasterPieces!! That cannot be bought anywhere!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

back in the early 70's quilting really died off ... all sewing did, making clothes was no longer cost effective. patterns and fabric prices sky-rocketed and large department stores started popping up everywhere, we became (lazy) and my thoughts were...why should i put 10 hours into making my little girl this sundress, (and $10) when i can go to k-mart and buy it for $4...
as the 70's-80's moved on people began to realize that maybe sewing isn't a lost art...we can make items much better; better workmanship, better materials, higher quality finished item than any we can buy already made. and you do not have to 'settle' with those colors, or 'that' design, you can make it YOU! and the absolute best way to have clothes that actually fit-you...make your own...worth every cent.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 AM

I personally prefer to give homemade gifts. When we were young and raising kids and I didn't work outside the home, I made all of my Christmas gifts. There is something out there for everyone. I think most people enjoy getting a homemade gift.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
back in the early 70's quilting really died off ... all sewing did, making clothes was no longer cost effective. patterns and fabric prices sky-rocketed and large department stores started popping up everywhere, we became (lazy) and my thoughts were...why should i put 10 hours into making my little girl this sundress, (and $10) when i can go to k-mart and buy it for $4...
as the 70's-80's moved on people began to realize that maybe sewing isn't a lost art...we can make items much better; better workmanship, better materials, higher quality finished item than any we can buy already made. and you do not have to 'settle' with those colors, or 'that' design, you can make it YOU! and the absolute best way to have clothes that actually fit-you...make your own...worth every cent.
I was born in the early 70's, and as I was growing up very few of my friends' moms sewed. My mom did, and she made me beautiful, unique clothes...and she insisted that I learn how to sew, too. I'm very thankful for that!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM

For me making gifts is not only a pleasure, but a lot less money for nicer gifts. I recycle found and free items whenever I can. This year I have made quilts for my mother and mother in law from 100% cotton upholstery sample fabrics. By basting well I used some soft knit fabric (someone elses unwanted fabric) for the back and purchased just batting and thread. They turned out so nice that even my quilting group was impressed. I made handbags for my sisters and sister in-laws (8 total) also from the sample fabric. Total cost for 10 very nice gifts under $40. I believe with a little creativity you can save a lot of money making your own gifts.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deedum
I have noticed too many times, how beautiful things are in the store. I noticed a beautiful baby blanket with embrodiery in the store yesterday, just adorable. I thought perhaps I am wasting my time, although everyone seems to be appreciative when they receive these gifts. The cost of the machines, thread, material, tools and my time are not cheap. My cost vs the dept store cost. Anyone else feel like this?I did read where more people are going back to making gifts to save money! Is it really saving? I know I make gifts because I want too, but how smart is it I wonder at times.
Sometimes I wonder, too, about the cost effectiveness.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I think it can be pretty frugal too! If you make scrappy quilts, you can spend alot less....those are my favorites!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 AM

I have a large stash...so making gifts helps me use what I have. I am doing tablerunners this year...have 9 done and 1 to go. I prefer to give homemade gifts...but only if I know the recipients are going to enjoy them....and they all will.