Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homespun fabric question >

Homespun fabric question

Homespun fabric question

Old 10-10-2015, 09:04 AM

Default Homespun fabric question

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

There has been this homespun fabric that keeps catching my eye.. over and over again. I found it on sale at Amazon so I broke down and bought it. I got 2 fat quarter bundles, one in the blue and one in the red. I am going to put them together in a quilt - hopefully for myself ha ha

I have never used "homespun" fabric before. Is there something special I need to know about it before I start? Or can I handle it just like any other cotton quilt fabric?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:47 AM

I'm using homespun in two quilts right now. I would advised washing it - it's a little looser weave so I think there would be some shrinkage. Also, clean out your machine more than usual. I get a lot more "stuff" in my bobbin area from it. I wash my fat quarters in mesh lingerie bags on gentle, warm. Again, lots of thread.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Homespun is a looser weave so it ravels more. Try not to handle it too much. It's great for rag quilts because it frays beautifully. If you're not making rag quilts you might want to use a bigger seam allowance (if your pattern allows) or use starch and/or fray check. This article has some great information that might help you - https://thecuriousquilter.wordpress....-have-history/
Old 10-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

The two previous posts are correct. Looser weave and much more unraveling.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Thanks for your input... now I am wondering if I want to use the fabric... extra fraying - - aacckk!

Thanks for the link I will check that out
Old 10-10-2015, 06:46 PM

I made a quilt for my grandson 15 years ago using homespun fabric. I made a scrappy ragged quilt with a double batting because I wanted it to be good for laying on the ground....my son was playing baseball and my daughter -in-law and grandson went to watch a lot.......that quilt is still in use.....and it had hard use and is still going strong......another 3 grandchildren have been added to the family and it still warms my heart when I see it come out of the van for the kids to sit on. I didn't pre-wash, wanted the puckered look. It washes beautifully.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:48 PM

While it is easier to fray I didn't find it much different to piece. I mix mine with regular cottons and love working with it in my Buggy Barn Quilts.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:22 AM

Homespun is easy to work with and washes beautifully, makes it very soft. It is one of my favorites.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Thanks everyone. I know that I just love the look of quilts made with homespun that's why I wanted to try
Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Thank you for asking these questions, meyert, and thanks also for bringing the Dunroven fabric to my attention! I've been looking for some time now for the "right" fabrics from which to make a navy, cream, dark reddish rag quilt for my daughter. I've been focused on flannel, but these colors (and patterns) are much better! And now I also know how to handle them. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your wisdom!