Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hoop for hand quilting >

Hoop for hand quilting

Hoop for hand quilting

Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 AM

Default Hoop for hand quilting

What would you recommend?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:53 AM

I meet with a bunch of handquilters once a week. They tend to use oblong shaped ones. For me, I've tried every shape and size I could think of and found everyone to feel awkward. Then someone said.. "then don't use one". So far (knock wood) it's worked ok for me. I do pen the quilt well before I start.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 AM

I have a cheap round wood one from JoAnns. I've been quilting for 10+ years now and this is the second one I've had to buy (first broke) so for the $$ I think I'm ahead of the game. It's a bit larger than elbow to fingers across. I can have a 12" block loose in the hoop and quilt the whole block. I have no stand or anything as I like to lean back in my chair and quilt.

It's what works for me. If you're just starting out, try it. You may progress to something else down the road but at least you won't be out major $$ for something that might not be right for you.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 AM

I like the 14 inch round hoop. I've bought several older wood ones on line for just a few dollars. The older ones are made to last.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 AM

First started with an 18 incher & still use that size. Tried the oval one but perfer the 18. Whatever feels comfortable to you works!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Banned

The 14" No-Slip hoop from Joann's. Is about $20full price. Use in in all my hand quilting classes. Students love them. Made of plastic. Worth the money.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM

I also tried many in my hand quilting days, and found the 14" round to be the best fit for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:58 AM

I don't use a hoop. I hand baste or pin, then just quilt with it in my lap. I've purchased hoops and tools designed to avoid the constant pricking of my lower fingers, but I can't master the techniques
Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I tried quilting with a round hoop and quilting without a hoop. What works best for me is a lap hoop. The one I have swivels on a wooden ball and is very easily adjusted for tilt and angle. This hoop leaves both hands free to quilt, plus there is virtually no obstruction to the underneath hand. My hoop is no longer made, but the closest thing to it is probably the Grace lap hoop. You can check out reviews of it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Grace-PolyPro-...dp/B002XNSJGE/ . Mine is all wood; I'm not sure if the plastic version grips the quilt as well as wood. Grace also makes an all-wood version of this frame.

I tried quilting without a hoop, but found that my stitches were considerably less even -- especially underneath.

In any hoop, a common beginner's mistake is to hoop too tightly -- like a drum. You want to have about 4" inches of "give" in the center of the hoop. A good rule is to allow the middle to move a fist's width down or up. This "give" in the quilt allows you to manipulate not only the needle with each stitch, but also the quilt (so you are also moving the quilt onto the needle).
Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

I have a round 14" one by Dritz. It's plastic, and has a wing nut for tightening. I've had it for years and it still looks and feels like brand new. I love it.