Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hoop quilting

I'm proud to say I have a UFO which is ready to quilt. I have hoop which I have just used by gut instink. Would appreciate info on whatever asdvice you have. Thanks

I start in the middle and quilt to the sides. I like the center sandwich a bit loose in the hoop. I scrunch the sides around me. Some people roll, I find the rolls a bit stiff.

Blog Entries
    You're talking about a hand quilting hoop, right? Beginners usually hoop too tightly. I was taught to hoop the quilt so that there is about a fist width of "give" in either direction. This "give" helps you manipulate the quilt for easier hand stitching.

Thanks. I didn'tknnowthatbut I had an old cat who sleptonmy nice TAUGHT quilt and now that I think about it ,it did help. Lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    You're talking about a hand quilting hoop, right? Beginners usually hoop too tightly. I was taught to hoop the quilt so that there is about a fist width of "give" in either direction. This "give" helps you manipulate the quilt for easier hand stitching.
    I agree!

cats know.. I quilt hoop and my advice is to keep your water or whatever you drink close at hand.. :D

Thank you for starting this thread! I am going to try some hand quilting and I appreciate any and all tips! So far, I have stitched in the ditch or sent the larger ones to a longarmer. But time to figure the mystery out:)