Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HoopSisters Mystery quilt, anyone else doing this? >

HoopSisters Mystery quilt, anyone else doing this?

HoopSisters Mystery quilt, anyone else doing this?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 PM

Default HoopSisters Mystery quilt, anyone else doing this?

I have signed up for the Hoopsister's Mystery Quilt. This is my first time going one.

I have ordered a fabric bundle from them too to make it a bit easier for me.

Has anyone else signed up?

I got an email from my LQS and decided to give it a try.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 PM

i have been tempted but i never have time for such things my BOM years ago sits
Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 AM

I am doing it. I have done several Hoop Sister projects, this is a really good price. I am not putting the backing fabric on, it is more work than I want to do and will just put a large backing material. There are both appliqué and embroidery designs for each block. I am doing the 5" square as I don't really need another queen size quilt. If you are not putting the back on each quilt you do not have to turn off your scissors or bring the thread to the top when you start the design. The video links they have are pretty good explaining how to finish the sashing on the back. I have not had luck putting monofilament thread in the bobbin. The first weeks designs look great.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 AM

I am curious about it too, especially now that they are dangling that Janome 15000 out there. I know you aren't supposed to ruin the mystery, but would you guys minding sending me pics of the first block privately? I am struggling with the thought of spending that much money on a mystery right now when I have so many other projects on my plate. If the first block strikes my fancy, I will be more inclined to sign up.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 AM

romille, I do not feel comfortable sharing photos. This is my first mystery with Hoopsisters and I do not want to break the rules.

I can say the designs are pretty. I would not use this week's blocks to make quilts for my sons. But it may make a lovely wedding gift. Not that we have any weddings coming up soon.

Yes it is expensive, I have already paid out over $200.00 and still need thread, battilizer or regular batting and scrim, plus backing. I hope I love the finished product.

Stashelf, that is an interesting idea to not add the backing in the hoop. I have been hesitant to buy backing fabric, not knowing how the front will finish. After seeing this week's video on joining blocks without sashing, I know I have to co-ordinate it to the main front block fabric.

I got my fabric kit in the mail yesterday. I am off to my LQS today to see if they stock the Battilizer (Hoopsisters does not ship it to Canada). I need to buy embroidery threads too. Plus make a decision on the backing.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:51 PM

No worries... a lady that works at a LQS is doing it, I had a BoM class there today and she showed the first couple blocks to me. I really liked it, I just might have to sign up!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM

I really have a problem spending that kind of $ on something I have no idea I'll like.