Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hopefully a happy ending with your help >

Hopefully a happy ending with your help

Hopefully a happy ending with your help

Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM

I received a quilt made by my grandmother. She took all the polyester fabric that my mom gave her and made quilts for 6 different people that year. She backed mine with cotton and a polyester batting sandwiched between. She tied the layers together with yarn. I have had this for 20+ years and at one time it was on my bed. It is now a quilt that we use during the winter since it is very warm. There is one square that was not of the same kind of fabric that is wearing thin and the seam on the side (backing brought to top for binding) that has let loose in one spot. Other than that it looks really good for its age. I may not be a polyester fan, but I would not give it up for the world.

What every you decide to do with the top, it will be wonderful. I would also show her what you did and as part of the conversation, mention to her that she could have it if she wants. Have fun and enjoy the process.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine
I received a quilt made by my grandmother. She took all the polyester fabric that my mom gave her and made quilts for 6 different people that year. She backed mine with cotton and a polyester batting sandwiched between. She tied the layers together with yarn. I have had this for 20+ years and at one time it was on my bed. It is now a quilt that we use during the winter since it is very warm. There is one square that was not of the same kind of fabric that is wearing thin and the seam on the side (backing brought to top for binding) that has let loose in one spot. Other than that it looks really good for its age. I may not be a polyester fan, but I would not give it up for the world.

What every you decide to do with the top, it will be wonderful. I would also show her what you did and as part of the conversation, mention to her that she could have it if she wants. Have fun and enjoy the process.
I also have one made by her."my stepmother" As Julie said they are very warm. We have used it on the bed and it is only a winter one or one to lay with on the couch or floor. Good one for camping etc.
By the way Julie (moanawahine) is my daughter. :)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 PM

my mom used to make quilts that were out of whatever she could find, they had no pattern, and were of all different materials. backs and front were pieced. I would love to have one of those ones now. :(

She used to tie them. We grew up very poor, so anything like that was a godsend, I don't remember having a store bought quilt when I was a kid, and clothes were always hand me downs.

looking back, I don't know how my mom did it with 7 kids. sheesh. (sadly she has been gone for many years :()

I would say finish it how you think it should be finished, or ask your friend how her mom used to finish them, and do it that way, and then offer it to her. If she doesn't want it back, then keep it or give to a charity.