Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A hornet's nest? >

A hornet's nest?

A hornet's nest?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM

i just entered a quilt show (very small!) and the main thing, apparently, was the theme of the quilt. Many of them were not so well made but the work that went in to them was loving and plenty!! the viewers choice was SO ugly - nothing on it matched. it was a panel with several borders - none of which matched the panel OR each other. but it's what the viewers liked - it had a religious theme to it. the winner - first place - was actually an afghan - US flag. my son was less than kind when describiing the other quilts ( he IS biased!!) i did get third place...
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm a traditional quilter and will quilt that way however when I go to quilt shows I am marveled at the quilts as art. I know its good to get outside of the box to try new things but to appreciate any quilt whether traditional or art is greatly appreciated. I've had people tell me to enter mine and I don't feel so because there is much competition out there. But always remember "your quilt is what you make out of it and its yours".
Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM

In most of the competitions I have seen, there are separate categories for different kinds of quilts.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM

This is very interesting :-)

We have a wide range here. Where I live the quilt guild is VERY traditional, mainly much older women who seem to frown on any "cheats" or modern techniques. They do use rotary cutters, etc, but are against things like spray basting.
The one I am joining is a half an hour's drive from here, and it's a much better mix.
I like both types... I love the traditional patterns and colours, like pam. And I like the art quilts that show a "picture", like landscapes, or similar.

The only ones I don't like or understand are where there's one bit of fabric, and a few lines of quilting, and it's called an artwork. I just don't get it! :?
Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

I personally like traditionally pieced or appliqued quilts. They remind me of my family and the strong feminine sewing tradition found there. Each block and stitch reminds me of them.

We must not be alone, or the "Dear Jane" quilts would not be so popular.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Part of the reason may be in your sentence - they are in love with their art just as we are in love with ours. I prefer the "traditional" style, and like bold colors put together simply.

I don't like scrappy quilts. I have made small things with scraps, but not winging it. I need to plan, I need symmetry otherwise I get unnerved. I need lights, mediums, darks, and am particular about color matches. Probably why I stick to small things - runners, pot holders, tote bags, 4x4 or 5x6, larger would send me over the edge...

Many quilts I see I don't understand, others I think that person must be obsessed, others insane, but in good ways. But think about it, look at someone's garden, choice of clothing, decor. I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into a quilt, but I'll stick to the kind I love. They make me happy - it's that simple.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:14 PM

some of what is being discussed here is very lovely thread art. or fibre art.
that said, it certainly has a place in the sewing world.

but, i agree that some of the newer styles of quilting are more like photo copying with fabric or like collage with fabric. running some machine stitches over that kind of sewing, IMHO, doesn't make it a quilt. it still is what it is. thread art and fibre art.

i also don't think that should insult anyone's taste. i just feel that it's two different things. IMHO.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

A plain log cabin will probably not win a big show, or an appliqued Sunbonnet Sue probably won't either. I can see those type quilts everyday and although beautiful they don't stir my imagination.
The show quilts to me are to inspire me to see what is possible. New color combinations, new techniques, new designs to take one step further. I look at the show quilts and think a quilter did this! She stepped out of the box, took a design one step more, added detail that was never thought of and made a showpiece.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM

I love the traditional and/or scrappy quilts. But I stand in awe too of the 'art quilts', their ability to make them, the creativity!
I agree with Motomom, about the popularity of the 'Dear Jane' type quilts.
I'm glad to hear shows honor both.
:-)
Old 04-17-2009, 03:21 PM

oooooh!

i can see this debate going on.....and on.........and on........

LOL!