Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
horray a new quilter in the family !!!! >

horray a new quilter in the family !!!!

horray a new quilter in the family !!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Default horray a new quilter in the family !!!!

I went to my brothers house to spend time w/family on my vacation in august and got a huge surprise. my grown niece who has 2 small children has always loved my quilts and has decided she wants to take up quilting as a hobby. shes a stay at home mom who home schools her kids. im not sure what kind of time shell have to devote to it although her oldest is probably old enough to start learning w/her as long as shes supervised. she has almost no money to devote to it so I want to get her started. I have a good dependable machine for her to get started on its the one I started out on. im trying to box up some things to take to her so she wont have to put out any mony to start off with. im ecstatic to have someone who can appreciate my hobby to leave my quilting things to when im gone. I would love suggestions of what to give to her to start off with I don't want to overwhelm her to begin with, also she has mad computer skills and these days you can find almost anything you want on the internet for free and tutorials to teach you how to do it. im sure shell soon be here to learn from yall as well.
thanks in advance
carla
Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Sewing machine, rotary cutter (with strict instructions to keep it out of the kids' reach), cutting mat, 6x24 ruler, scissors, seam ripper. I'd say those are the basics. You could also include some pre-cuts. Since her funds are limited she could take advantage of thrift store finds for fabric.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM

Include some old Quilt magazines and scraps for her to practice on. Hugs and fun as the 2 of you now have another thing in common.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 AM

She doesn't need a bunch of rulers, so I agree that a 6x24 is a good one. Rotary cutter & cutting mat, pins. If she doesn't have much experience with a sewing machine, there are some videos on you-tube to get comfortable with threading, bobbin, etc. I think maybe Mary Fons on Quilty.com? does them. A basic book so she doesn't get overwhelmed by the internet!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:04 PM

That's wonderful and it's great that she has you to mentor her. I wish her the best and hope she has fun with it.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

That is great news, we need all the quilters we can get/inspire. This is an art and talent that needs to keep going.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM
KLO

The already mentioned basics are the best thing to give along with any fabric you can spare. I think I would also try to include some thread as that can be expensive if you don't have any. Oh and how about one package of batting just to get her going? You are a wonderful aunt!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM

Is there a quilting group near where she lives? My groups have material they give to members to make the charity quilts. Also, she might connect with someone who could mentor/encourage her / be a quilting buddy to her.

Is there a JoAnn's near her for rulers and such as she advances? Those 40% and 50% coupons do save us money but she would need to register to get the flyers.

Is there a LQS near her where she could take c class, maybe even taking her oldest with her?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:02 PM

If you could add some batting and muslin sandwiches for her to practice on that would be great!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Everyone's just about got it covered so I've nothing to add, other than, how fantastic! Hope she joins us here soon....the more the merrier.