Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hot pad question

Hot pad question

Hi everyone,

I am making some hot pads for wedding gifts, and I have some ironing board fabric (the silver stuff that isn't necessarily fabric). If I were to use this, would I layer it between my two layers of batting and which way would the silver go? I usually use 3 layers of cotton batting or two layers with a piece of flannel in between. I cook with a lot of cast iron, and I like thick hot pads. I am also making some for myself, because I am replacing mine. Also, have any of you used the insul bright and if so, would you still add some cotton batting?

Thanks

I use insulbright. I add a layer of batting on each side of the insulbright. This has worked really well for me.

Blog Entries
    I like them nice and thick also; insulbright plus a couple of layers of cotton batting. I have also used the silver ironing board cover fabric on one side of the potholder and more decorative fabric on the other.
    Wendy

I used the silver material on the outside bottom and didn't like the way it held up after washing. I now use outer fabric, denim. insulbrite, batting, another piece of denim, and then the other layer of outer fabric. I often get the denim from the legs of old jeans.

I used insulbrite and two layers of batting for holiday potholders. They turned out quite well
    Have a happy day,

Fran

yep! insulbrite is the way to go! that in the middle and batting on both sides.