Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hotel Sewing >

Hotel Sewing

Hotel Sewing

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Holiday Inn Express are great hotels with large dinning area for their Continental Breakfast. I have seen many people use this area during non breakfast hours. You will have more then enough table and outlets. Have fun!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Have a wonderful time. I echo what others have said. Choose a hotel and call to ask if they can accomodate you.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Oh, how fun for all of you. I am sure the hotel room will work out fine. It will be fun just to get away from everyday chores and trials. Have a good relaxing time.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM

How wonderful for your daughter, you and your friend. it will be a great weekend for all, no cooking, no cleaning, no kids to look after.

I agree with the above on lighting and extension cord. If you are driving to the hotel, maybe you or your friend have one of those plastic fold in half tables. You can set up each of your sewing machine on opposite sides. That would free up the desk for cutting station.

You may need to ask for an additional chair. Most rooms only have one at the desk.

Enjoy!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Have a wonderful time. Your daughter will be in the care of professionals so don't overworry, she'll be having a ball, and you should too!!! Just don't book a room near a fabric store or you won't get any sewing done at all. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM

I hope both you and your daughter have a great time!!! From another mother of a Spina bifida kid who is now 23 and just graduated from secondary school in December
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Double check that you pack everything you need, I do that when I quilt at my parents home when I'm taking care of them. The extra light and extension cord are good tips. Have fun and ask the hotel for everything you need in advance. Grace
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM

I agree with all of the above, but don't hesitate to let them know why you will be staying with them.
Being the parent of a boy with muscular dystrophy, I find places can be a lot more accommodating
when they realize the challenge you live with. It gives them joy to see you getting a break and enjoying
yourself. I will only disagree with one thing from above -- NOT GETTING A HOTEL NEAR A QUILT SHOP!!
There is nothing wrong with a little shopping included to break the day up!! Enjoy your break -- aren't
friends the best?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

I have done it a number of times, though usually because I was traveling for work. I just nicely asked the motels for the table I would need and extra lighting. They already had an ironing board I could use. You can call ahead and check it all out.

I did as much as possible of my cutting at home as I prefer my own cutting table because it is t he correct height for me.

I also took my own chair pad. I have a DynaDisc.

Since the motels had free cocktails in the p.m. and I don't drink at least 24 hours before driving or working ... I made friends with the bartenders and each night they fixed me hot cranberry juice which I then took to my room.

I had some very relaxed nights quilting in my room. Much nicer than watching TV.

ali
Old 02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't expect that they'd be willing to give up space outside of the area you "rent" without an added fee.
However, I bet they will be very accomodating to supply the extra table needed. It's not different than asking for a cot to be brought in.

Consider the amount of space ... if you're not familiar with the property, then you would want to check that the room you are getting will give the two of you the amount of space you need to work and slep comfortably. As suggested, you might want a suite, and then could do some of your meals yourselves .... especially the snacks!

Be up front and tell them what you have planned, and why ... along with your needs. As already said, if you don't ask, you won't have given them the opportunity to show their customer service extraordinaire!!!

And most important ... HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!