Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Household items turned quilting notions? >

Household items turned quilting notions?

Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 PM

About the insulubrite my sil said she got at Lowes. I looked and no one heard of it there also my Jo anns never heard of it or Hancocks so back to ordering on the computer. they never heard of thermalite nieghter.............

I buy my insulbrite at JoAnn's. Ask them to look it up for you.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
I broke a springed clothes pin in half, use the flat part to open and hand press seams the way I want them to go. It keeps my finger from getting burned.
I'll have to remember that. I burned the bejeezus out of my fingers yesterday. Thank You.
according to the doctor's column in my paper--------cold yellow mustard on a burn will pull the heat out. I tried it on a little burn this weekend and it works.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM

I use toe separators (for polishing toe nails) for housing bobbins. Slide it in and then turn it to hide the loose end of the thread. Each one holds 4 bobbins with no strings to tangle. You can get a pair of these for $1 just about everywhere.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM

I use the plastic bed risers to raise a table up to the perfect height for a cutting table.

The plastic tubs from frosting make great pencil holders.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
I use toe separators (for polishing toe nails) for housing bobbins. Slide it in and then turn it to hide the loose end of the thread. Each one holds 4 bobbins with no strings to tangle. You can get a pair of these for $1 just about everywhere.
I don't know if it's been mentioned,but one of my quilting friends keeps a dish drainer on her work table. She uses the dish slots for rulers and the silverware slots for marking pens,pencils,seam rippers, and even a magnifying glass. It's a smaller one that's made to fit inside the sink and it seems to hold everything she needs right where she can grab it.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
SEW

Originally Posted by lauriejo
I am loving all of these great ideas. I have just really started to teach myself to quilt and many of these will come in handy. I think the tool I seem to use the most is my MasterCard!
hahahaha! :lol:
Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 PM

I use plastic pill containers for beads, sequins, etc., an old cookie tin for thread, plastic mayonnaise jars for buttons, a lined wicker picnic basket as a sewing basket, plastic sheets used for cutting veggies as template plastic, freezer paper, chop sticks for stillettos, a small paint brush for a machine lint brush, a tiered trouser hanger for lengths of fabric, an oversized mug for pencils, rotary cutters, scissors, etc., a wire flatware basket is tucked inside a drawer at my sewing table: it neatly hold just about anything one can imagine. Color books provide a great source for appliques.

Also, when I sew, I have to pull up an extra chair, cover it with a blanket, and lift Miss Ellie, my precious puppy, onto the chair. She supervises my sewing and is so excited when she gets a new harness!