Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston international quilt festival >

Houston international quilt festival

Houston international quilt festival

Old 09-27-2016, 04:01 PM

Default Houston international quilt festival

Looking to go to Houston Quilt Festival in 2017. For those who have been, how many days should I spend at the show. I was thinking of going 3 days Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:10 PM

I went last year and we were there for those 3 days. It was great. Saturday was getting crowded and we left early on that day. But then we had been there for all that time and it was time to go. It would have been interesting to have a pedometer and see just how far we walked. I was with a bus group. My roommate and I went our separate ways and met for lunch.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Are you taking any classes? Unfortunately when we went we were on an organized/disorganized bus tour and only managed a few hours in and around our other tours...In hindsight... I would go alone and spend as many days as I could afford coming and going to all the displays....merchant malls...quilt shows etc.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 PM

I live in Houston and go to festival every year. I'd suggest allowing at least 3 days for visiting the displays and shopping. Sunday is my favorite day for both because most of the fly in people leave on Sunday and it's much less crowded.

Since you're flying in, you might want to book a hotel downtown. You won't need a rental car if you do and, believe me, if you aren't used to Houston traffic and Houston drivers you really don't want to drive here.

You'll have a great time. Houston Quilt Festival is like Disneyland for quilters
Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 AM

Also, if you stay in a downtown hotel, they have buses from the hotels that run to the convention center where the quilt festival is. It is wonderful. If you interested in classes you can order a catalog (just check online next year around July I think) and sign up for classes, too. I have done that for several years and have learned so much from quilting teachers I never dreamed of being able to take classes from.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Cashs_mom, you are so right about Houston traffic. Even after visiting my son for the last 20 years, I sometimes get so frustrated. I'm getting ready to move there in the next year or so. As far as the quilt festival, Amber1957, make sure you have comfortable shoes! Take your time and enjoy.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 AM

Houston traffic is horrendous! I've lived her 30+ years and know what to expect so it's not quite as bad, but drivers here are very aggressive and a lot of them are terrible. You have drive very defensively and be ready for lots of delays. If you are coming from somewhere else, staying downtown is the way to go. There are shuttles to and from the airport and from the hotel to the convention center. Depending on which one you stay in, you can even walk.

And deb is right. Bring comfortable walking shoes and I'll add bring your camera and enjoy.

Edit: I should also add that you can get a catalog and get a lot of info by going to Quilts, Inc's website and clicking on Houston Festival. Quilts, Inc. is the company that puts on the Quilt Festival here and in a few other places.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-28-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM

When I was able to go I flew in on a Sunday and left the next Saturday or Sunday. I took as many classes as I could take but did leave at least one full day to shop in the vendor mall and another day to view the quilts. That is an amazing show!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:36 PM

Many years ago I went for the Quilt store that I worked at and was a buyer for the store. So much fun.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:23 AM
Administrator

if you just want to look at the quilts and tour the vendors ... but not planning to shop 'til you drop, two days are plenty. that's time to see all the quilts, zip through the "shops", then go back to buy those things you absolutely have to have but can't get elsewhere for less. (not all the vendors discount their wares during the show.)

if you know you'll need to stop frequently to rest your feet and/or back you might consider three days.

if you will be looking for a new machine, plan your visit so you'll be there on the last day.
most of the machine vendors will offer deep discounts on their display and classroom machines if you agree to pick them up on the last day. it saves them the trouble of packing them up and getting them back to wherever they came from.

if you also want to visit area shops that won't be at the show, pad your itinerary accordingly.
you are likely to find good sales at those shops because they hope to attract tourist-quilters.