Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Houston International Quilt Festival

Hi, this is my first quilt festival, and I can't wait! I'm going tomorrow, and can't seem to find out the answer to my two questions, so I was wondering if any of you could answer them - everyone on the board always comes through for every need and query!

Are there in-and-out privileges at the show?
    Are rolling carts/suitcases permitted?

Thanks, and for those of you who are going, I look forward to seeing you there!

Definitely in and out privileges, get your hand stamped before going out. I 'think' rolling carts are allowed.
    Hope someone else will say for sure 'yes or no'.

Thank you Kathy - that's music to my ears! I live in Houston and know of a great Mexican restaurant in the area, but not in the convention center. I figure if I'm going to pay that much for lunch, it might as well be for good food!

Blog Entries
    say Hi to my girlfriend. She's going. i sent her tickets for her Birthday. she lives in Houston and had never gone!

I went last night for the preview of the quilts and did some shopping. If you plan on going on Friday or Saturday -- these are the most popular days and there are lots and lots of people.
    Going up and down the isles is tight -- people sometimes don't think when they just stop in the middle of the isles when they see something interesting -- that stops the whole section. I see a lot of people who carry tote bags and then again some vendors give out free tote bags but you really do not see people pushing carts around. There are a lot of people in wheel chairs too! I hope you have fun. I took a class on Monday and I have two more - one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I plan on doing more shopping. Duhhh - I just called for you. The answer is "NO CARTS, ROLLING SUITECASES" unless you have a medical need to have one then you need to bring a note from a Doctor and go to the 2nd floor to get a special pass to use it.

Enjoy your time at the show!

Blog Entries
    They have the winners posted on the website already....some awesome quilts! :)
    Wish I were close enough to go! I can't seem to make it to Portland for the expo here!

ruacajun2, thank you very much! I have a phone number I tried earlier, but no answer, so was going to call later in the morning. I guess I'll add "backpack" to the Walmart list - this was my original plan anyway, so I don't have to deal with hauling things around.

Thanks to all who responded, and to those of you who are going, let's all have a wonderful time!

A great Mexican place is called Irma's - located at 22 North Chenevert Street, 2 blocks north of Minute Maid Park. They are open during weekdays, and at 4PM on Saturdays. I highly recommend the pink lemonade - so much fruit bits they clog up a straw, but it's wonderful!!!

Rolling carts are specifically NOT allowed at the Quilt Festival. No baby strollers either. The only thing on wheels allowed are those golf-cart things for handicapped folks. Even with these restrictions, the aisles are packed! But, it's a fun event, so go with the flow and enjoy! I am leaving now to drive to the Festival -- see you in 5 hours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Wish I were close enough to go! I can't seem to make it to Portland for the expo here!
    Where is the site to see the quilts? Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by running1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Where is the site to see the quilts? Thanks for sharing!!
    http://www.quilts.org/winners.html

Here's the link to see the winners!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast