Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston Quilt Festival >

Houston Quilt Festival

Houston Quilt Festival

Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Default Houston Quilt Festival

I am going to Houston this year to the Quilt Festival and am so excited about it and trying to plan. I have been before several years ago. As I remember it, there are a few places with chairs facing a speaker on the show floor. It is a great place to sit and rest and you get to listen to a speaker. This is open to anyone that passes by, no registration or cost. My queston - is there a list of these speakers and subjects available so that I can plan ahead and get to listen to something interesting to me? My time is so limited that I cannot attend any of the scheduled classes or lectures. I would love to take advantage of these small events. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Pat
Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM

There is a catalog available that lists events and classes....don't know if they list everything or not...Try www.quilts.com. I'm going on Saturday! Wish I had more time, but trying to cram a lot into a short trip! (Haven't seen my friend in 4 years!!) Hope this helps!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM

I don't remember. We just checked when we got to the conference center. I went with a group.

Next time I'll probably go with only a few friends and we'll stay in a hotel nearby. That means we'll have to plan almost a year in advance to do this. It would be worth it. No parking hassle. Able to go back to our room when we want. Able to take our purchases back and get a break then return.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Anniedeb, I looked at the online list of classes and lectures and it seems that is only the ones where you pre-register and pay, which would be OK if I had more time. Hope you and your friend have a good time. I am going on a bus trip with a lot of other quilters from the surrounding area and will be staying at a hotel not near the conv. center. AliKat, having a hotel nearby would be great. I am going with my sister and a friend. Will be their first time going to the festival. It will be so much fun being with them. We will be there for two days, one night. We will cram in everything we can.
Thanks for your help, Pat
Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 PM

I think you may be talking about Meet the Teacher. A brief description is on page 7 of the catalog http://www.quilts.com/fqf13/force-do...file=catalogue.

I went last year for the first time and had such a great time.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM

I'll be going this year- first time. I'm a newbie quilter and can't wait to spend a day looking & drooling!
Old 09-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Hope we can do the festival justice in just one day.... My friend wants to do "whirlwind" traveling while I'm there...think we'll spend most of our time in the car!!! (Only there for 4 days!!)
Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 PM

The Houston Quilt Festival is the granddaddy of them all. I have been so fortunate to have been there 3 times and loved every minute of it. My friend and I stay just a few blocks from the Convention Center and the hotel runs a shuttle or you can walk the few blocks. We fly in on a Sunday and go home the following Sunday. I'm thinking I would like to go back next year. This next week my friend and I are going on a bus trip to Des Moines - looking forward to that one too. One comes home so psyched and ready to sew!!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
Hope we can do the festival justice in just one day.... My friend wants to do "whirlwind" traveling while I'm there...think we'll spend most of our time in the car!!! (Only there for 4 days!!)
I would think that doing it in one day would be tough. I hope your schedule is flexible. I bet you change your plans when you get there and see how much there is to look at. Have fun! I know that we will.
Pat
Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 AM

I'm envious, jealous, whining, etc. etc. of you all going to the Houston Quilt Show. Seriously, have a wonderful time. Just wish I could go............has always been on my bucket list but haven't made it yet.