Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How big a quilt...? >

How big a quilt...?

How big a quilt...?

Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm working on 5.5 inch blocks (unfinished). I have the templates for row 1 column one done and pieced a prototype. Can you say tiny? I'm thinking you may get to a napkin size quilt with this amount of fabric. There is a lot of waste with all the angles. This is going to be an all templates quilt...shall I go on?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Your quilt is going to be beautiful! I do love green :-D :thumbup:
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
with (3) 1/2-yds of fabric you want to make a quilt? for a queen size quilt i use (on average) between 9 & 11 yards of fabric...depending on the design of course.
Well, I wasn't thinking that big. But from what you guys are telling me I won't even have enough to make a decent sized lap quilt let alone anything bigger.

Shoot. I don't know when I'll be able to go back to that quilt shop to get more of that fabric
Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Don't get discouraged! I think your quilt will be stunning. I love your blocks and love the whole Packer scheme. Maybe you can buy more fabric online. You have the numbers on the selvedge, so you will know exactly what you are getting.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM

CK, I spent two days working on templates for this pattern. I only got through the large green block with the gold background. On graph paper it turned out fine. When cutting templates and stacking them together with seam allowances over lapping it worked out fine but in the end when sewing them together the angles were slightly off. I was using a finished block size of 5" so that you might get several blocks out of the amount of fabric you have even though the finished quilt would be miniature in size. I think it would be more feasible to do 10" blocks but you would probably end up with only three blocks. Like I said before there is a lot of waste fabric with this pattern. Having said all of that, I do think the pattern is worth working with but I would certainly do it in a larger block size and it would be best to have someone with EQ7 work out the templates. I experimented with 1/8" seams and 1/4" seams and once sewn they just didn't quite measure up correctly. It may have been my math though. Good luck!