Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to build my stash >

How to build my stash

How to build my stash

Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 PM

Default How to build my stash

I'm a new quilter and most of my small stash consists of fabrics that my friend gave to me, and I'm using my favorites from that in the mystery quilt!! I was at the fabric store today and I saw so many fabrics that I'd love to hang on to for a future project but I have no idea what is a good amount to buy when I don't have a project in mind. Now don't be jealous, but I need to build my stash!! Would love to hear some ideas one how much fabric I should buy and should I buy anything I like or try to buy fabrics that I think look nice together. Also does print size or design (say geometric for example) make any difference in how much I would want to buy?

THANKS!!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 PM

My best advice is don't buy just to buy. Think about what you want to do. other than that...go crazy.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 AM

I'm guilty of the "buy it because I love it" mentality. Some of the stuff that I HAD to buy is still sitting there waiting because I can't decide what pattern to use.

Think about what you might want to make. If you expect to make scrappy quilts, buy small amounts, FQs or 1/2 yds. Mostly I buy anywhere from 1/2 to 1 yd. Sometimes that isn't enough for a particular pattern. You might want to look at some patterns and see if there is something you want to build your stash up to make in the future. If you like patterns with large blocks, you might want some larger prints. If you find a large print you love, consider 2-3 yards to use as a border - you can cut lengthwise borders and use the rest for blocks. If I pick a color that might seem hard to match, I try to buy a few coordinating fabrics at the same time. One thing that I use a ton of is marbles or other blenders/tonal fabric. I love Kaufman Fusions. I tend to use very little solids, but would like to start buying some to incorporate into my quilts.

For a quick stash, try a bundle of something...FQs, layer cakes, jelly rolls, charm squares. Just be aware that they are not usually exactly the size stated. It's easier to live with that if you use a pattern that cuts them down a little. But they do give a nice variety of fabrics already coordinated for you.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 AM

I buy lots when it is on sale...don't know if I will use it all but I love having it ...so far it has come in handy having...I am making the BOM and my colours are pretty close to the suggested one..all from my stash...
Old 10-07-2014, 02:28 AM

If I like a fabric I buy 2 yds. If I really love it I buy 3 yds then there is enough for a border or such in my project. But the fabrics change so much from yr to yr I no longer try to buld a stash. I try to plan what I am making next. Right now I have a lot of scrappy pcs. left over from other projects so plan on trying to use them up in a scrappy quilt.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 AM

I love the scrappy look, but I have bought fabric only for certain quilts in mind. I'll buy a box of scraps from the fat quarter shop and have used many of those. When I don't have enough yardage for a particular project, then I'l buy just about what I need for that project. The way I shop is. Okay I want to make a quilt for so & so, they like so/so. I'll look for fabrics through my stash, if I don't see anything, then I shop the sales on line. If still nothing, then shop the full price. I don't really buy just cause I like it. I buy cause I like it and it's on sale.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 AM

I'm in the 'no stash' camp. Granted, I have a bit of a stash of left overs from previous projects but that's it. I usually make bed-size quilts and I'm not particularly into scrappy. So if I bought a 1/2 yard of this or a yard of that it would never be enough to be used in a quilt that I would probably make. I buy for projects only. Granted, I usually over-buy but that way I have enough for boo boos or to hang on to for sample blocks, other small projects, whatever. I also don't have much room so storage is always an issue for me.

I agree with whomever suggested looking at various patterns to see what you like and look at those requirements. Keep in mind as well, our tastes have a tendency to change over time. What you love today you may hate in the future. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:21 AM

I suggest you find some patterns you like and buy yardage for them. After you make a few quilts you will have leftovers that will start building your stash. And after you make a few, you will get a feel for the kind/style of quilts you like to make. I make mostly modern quilts which tend to take fewer fabrics but larger quantity of each and lots of solids. If you like scrappy, look for bundles of "destash" fabrics on eBay or etsy to build up a variety of smaller cuts. If I see a fabric line I love without a pattern in mind I buy 2 yards of each fabric. When I started out I bought 1/2 to 1 yard and that often is not enough now for the quilt style I like to make. I also advise against buying just to build a stash as I did some of that at the beginning too and still have most of it because They don't coordinate well together and aren't in the right quantity. I will eventually use them in scrappy or string quilts however. Just buy for each project and you will be surprised how fast your stash will grow!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:23 AM

I buy when I see a Line I like, I'm an "Organized Quilter" so I don't do Scrappy!! It's just me but it's like fingernails on a chalk board!! I've seen many scrappies I love but could not make.
I always buy enough for a full size quilt in a line it may sit on my self until I see a pattern I love just for that fabric. I always make sure I know what I have so that if I do perchance need more I know I can search by fabric name. Have fun with your stash, I think the advise you are receiving is wonderful, don't buy just to buy. As you gain in quilting knowledge so will your ability to estimate what you need for certain quilts!!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

The best way to build your stash is to have a good stock of solids and neutrals. After may years of quilting I now buy blender, solid, neutral, and backing fabric by the bolt and layer cakes and jelly rolls of a design line I like. Just about any quilt pattern can be made with a layer cake and jelly roll.