Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I keep my Squares Even when cutting >

How can I keep my Squares Even when cutting

How can I keep my Squares Even when cutting

Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 PM

I am really glad you said that about the new small ruler
which I have not used. The big 24" would not be useful in cutting small pieces, rather breaking up width of fabric into 3 inch strips which then can be cut into 3'' squares with perhaps the new"baby" size.

I haven't seen them working or figured out why they have some pieces that extend.

My apologies, I should have said 24 inch rolling ruler is for
initial cuts into strips and segments.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:37 AM

I think you might like the Donna Dewberry cutting board for strips. It's like a paper cutting board. I don't see any reason you couldn't use it by cutting 3" strips first and then cutting the strip into the 3" block you want. The board is a little expensive but if you have a JoAnns you could use a coupon or wait for it to go on sale.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 AM

Thank you

:)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM

what I do to keep my squares squared is I tape and hot glue both ends of a 12 inch metal ruler to the middle of my cutting board fallowing the grid lines. Then measure from the back side of the ruler the size of the quilt square and tape a 2 inch strip of heavy cardboard fallowing the grid lines. To use this quilting jig: slip the strip of fabric under the metal ruler and line the edge up with the card board strip then press down in the center of the metal ruler and cut the square. It is kind of like using a paper cutter. I also made a jig like this for cuting triangles.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM

I use InvisiGrip on the back of my rulers and love it!
You can buy it at most quilt shops and Joann's. It comes in a roll and you cut to size. Great stuff.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:08 PM

OK, someone may have had this suggestion already, but I didn't read all 4 pages of comments. One idea that was given to us at a workshop with Pat Speth was to use the rubbery shelf-liner or drawer-liner that you can get in the cooking section of your local "walmart". Just cut little pieces off the roll and it works great. I have also seen suction devices that you can attach to a small ruler that gives you a place to grip it. That might be easier for you too.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 AM

Thank you...I'm going to get some of that shelf liner the next time I go to Walmart. That will be the cheaper/best way to go. Thanks for that tip/idea.

:)
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

I didn't see an answer, so I'm responding. It's called Hugo's Amazing Tape. If you google it, you can find someplace to order it from. Can't remember where I got mine, but I bought a roll about 2" wide & cut it in strips. You can use it for all sorts of things because it sticks to itself. It's a little pricey, but can be used over and over and over.