Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How can I make this quilt larger?

How can I make this quilt larger?

For the longest time, we had a Full size bed. Now, we are the happy nappers in a King size bed. I have some UFO's that have been quilted but do not have bindings on yet. These are full sized. Is there any way to add borders to these quilts and then quilt them? If so, does any one have any ideas on how to do it? Appreciate any help out there. Thanks

If you post a picture, that might help us.
    But... without seeing them, I'd say find fabric that works with your UFO's, sew strips/borders till it's the desired size. Then quilt (or not) that. I've even seen some quilts with a ruffle added.

You can remove the binding, unstitch the quilting around a couple of inches. Add more to the top and back. Then for the batting, you would butt a piece of batting up to the existing batting and use some of that iron on tape to join them. That keeps the batting flat. Smooth the top and backing over the batting and quilt. Bind as usual.

One time I saw a video or tutorial on this, but I cannot locate it now. Maybe someone else remembers where it is.
    Jean in MI

You could make borders and quilt to within an inch or so, attach to quilt and bind it. With borders quilted ahead of attaching it you could attach to the quilt and fold and sew the backing over the seam. Someone may come along with better ideas. Easiest thing would be to buy a solid color bedspread to put under the quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I enlarged the quilt on our bed by making a strip about 14 inches wide by the length of the quilt for each side, sandwiching it and quilting it to match, binding the ends and one long side........then I stitched each piece by stitching in the ditch of the binding on the 'original' quilt. It looks GREAT and you would think it was meant to be that way and not an add on.
    I hope this makes sense to you.

Blog Entries
    They are not yet bound, correct? So what you are doing is adding QAYG borders--probably to the two sides of the quilt. Here is one tutorial but if you google or bing or whatever "QAYG borders" you should get many more.

http://www.thequiltingedge.com/2011/...g-borders.html
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Thank you so much. I am looking at the tutorial to see what I can get from it. Appreciate the thoughtful input.