Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can I stop a fabric from bleeding

A friend recently purchased some fabric for me at a well known quilt shop in the area so I can make placemats and a table runner for her. I normally throw my fabric in with the regular wash but decided to do it by hand in the bathroom sink. I have soaked, washed, rinsed, re-rinsed this one particular piece of not very dark green print and it is still leaching out green. HELP. I've run out of ideas.

put it in the washer- warm water and detergent- wash it- rinse and see if the water is clear- if not= wash again-
    you can add retayne- which sets dyes- you can toss in color catchers- to catch the fugitive dyes-
    if after 2 or 3 washes it still bleeds- put it aside and use something else- some fabrics run until there is no color left- some just have some excess dye and will stop after a couple washes.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    put it in the washer- warm water and detergent- wash it- rinse and see if the water is clear- if not= wash again-
    you can add retayne- which sets dyes- you can toss in color catchers- to catch the fugitive dyes-
    if after 2 or 3 washes it still bleeds- put it aside and use something else- some fabrics run until there is no color left- some just have some excess dye and will stop after a couple washes.
    Excellent advice! :-)

a regular here
    You can also wash your fabric in vinegar to set the dye.

Retayne is the best way to go! Vinegar will not work unless an acid type dye has been used , and acid type dyes are not used on cotton quilting fabrics.

Didn't people use salt also to set dyes? I have never used dye so I am not sure - but I don't usually pre-wash and I have been lucky so far. Try the Color Catchers - they work well.

I am so bad...my first thought when I read the topic was,

"Don't cut it!"

Easy answer http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1981-AA.shtml

Check it out - works like a dream!!!

Another product http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/synthrapol.shtml

Blog Entries
    You need to wash it in Retayne in hot water. A lot of quilt shops carry Retayne now. You can also order it online from places such as Amazon, Dharma Trading, and ProChem. Just remember that Retayne *sets* dye. That's why you want to use it on a fabric. Never use it on a finished quilt, as it can permanently set a bleed. (Synthrapol can be used on a quilt to prevent bleeds from setting, and even to remove bleeds that have not been permanently set.)

A few fabrics need two treatments with Retayne. Anything that bleeds after that should be discarded or used for something other than a quilt.

Blog Entries
    Vinegar. If u have a green shirt that's faded throw it in. It will brighten it back up. Read it in magazine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast