Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How can you tell if wool has been felted?

The instructions say to felt the wool in the new quilt kit I received, but it already looks/feels felted. How can you tell? Should I wash it anyhow?

Blog Entries
    Does it fray at the edges? Felted wool would not do this - you shouldn't be able to discern any warp or weft threads. If you want to try felting a sample, the easiest way is with some bubble wrap plastic. Two layers, bubbles on the inside, next to your sample fabric. Pour on a small quantity of hot water (enough to wet it) and some liquid soap. Cover with top layer of bubble wrap and rub the plastic to agitate. (It helps to have some soap on the plastic also, to 'lubricate' it). As you felt the fabric it will shrink and firm up or slightly thicken. Rinse out all the soap and allow to dry flat.

Thanks for the tip, Lacelady. No threads "fray" at the edges, and the wool is very tightly woven. That's why I wasn't sure. Everything I know about wool tells me it has been felted, but the instructions say to felt it. I will go find some bubble wrap and try a sample. Thanks so much!!

Blog Entries
    What a great tip!!! Thanks LaceLady