Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to chose a lightweight quilting sewing machine for my wife??? >

How to chose a lightweight quilting sewing machine for my wife???

How to chose a lightweight quilting sewing machine for my wife???

Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM

A Brother SQ 9000 or the SQ9050 are both lightweight. The price is very reasonable too, I have seen them for less than 200 dollars on Amazon.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
Does anyone know if either Janome or Brother has a lightweight machine that also embroiders? [don't want much, do I?]
I looked at the Brother PE 770, but it weighs 22 lbs.
The PE770 is strictly embroidery only.

I found these two which do both sewing/ embroidery
Brother SE400
Brother LB6800PRW

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 02-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Banned

Just to add a couple of ideas--I just went to the QuiltCon show here in Austin and although I don't need a new machine, I love looking at them at the shows. I've always been impressed by the light weight of the Janome Gem machines and they look very sturdy and capable for a small lightweight machine. I do own a Featherweight that I don't use (inherited from my grandmother) which to me seems extremely heavy for its small size in terms of taking it from place to place.

For your wife's gift, I'd be sure to check Amazon for the best prices from online stores. Though it's nice to buy a machine from a local dealership in terms of future service, you really can get the best deals online. Be sure to get a machine with an automatic threader, whichever one you choose!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM

What a wonderful husband you are!

Originally Posted by hubs2734 View Post
Not sure if this is the correct way to post a reply to my own post????Many thanks to all who offered their thoughts on purchasing a lightweight machine for my wife's birthday...I am amazed and thankful for the responses....many of the responders felt that I should wait and let my wife pick out what she wants, and I understand your point...however, I wanted the new machine to be a 68th birthday surprise! I do know that she is interested in the lightweight Janome's.....and due to your ideas, I will make sure that whatever machine I get can be returned/exchanged for another...Because we have been married for so long, it is quite difficult to think of unique gifts for each other, but I still try hard to find something that will surprise and thrill her....I think this will do it!!! Again, thanks so much for your kind responses....Dave Murray, Cape Cod, MA
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM

I bought a Janome gem just for that purpose ..it is really a good little workhorse...
You get a gold star ...husband of the year....
Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM

I don't know where you are down the Cape but, if you can, go to Murray's Fabric in Orleans right across the street from the Christmas tree shop. They sell Janome's. My vote would be for the 3160. The Gem Gold is a great machine just a little to basic.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by hubs2734 View Post
Not sure if this is the correct way to post a reply to my own post????Many thanks to all who offered their thoughts on purchasing a lightweight machine for my wife's birthday...I am amazed and thankful for the responses....many of the responders felt that I should wait and let my wife pick out what she wants, and I understand your point...however, I wanted the new machine to be a 68th birthday surprise! I do know that she is interested in the lightweight Janome's.....and due to your ideas, I will make sure that whatever machine I get can be returned/exchanged for another...Because we have been married for so long, it is quite difficult to think of unique gifts for each other, but I still try hard to find something that will surprise and thrill her....I think this will do it!!! Again, thanks so much for your kind responses....Dave Murray, Cape Cod, MA
My husband surprised my with my first Janome 30 years ago. I loved it and still do. I woul much rather opening the new machine than a gift card. Make her birthday a great day with the new machine.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 PM

I have a Brother SQ9000, which I got from Wal*Mart. It weighs about 10 lbs. I had the very same problem- can't carry anything heavy and there's no way to carry my Bernina, plus I wouldn't want it to be knocked around. The Brother does just fine and costs about $200.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM

I would recommend calling Ann's Fabrics in Canton Ma. 781-828-2201 she has been in the sewing/quilting/machine sales for over 30 yrs. and her staff would be very helpful in guiding your selection. They carry several different brands and have certified technicians to service them. I am not associated with this business i have bought several machines there and shop and take classes there as well, I just thought they are a good resource in the area.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM

What a sweet hubby this lady has. He will make her day special. She will know it too.