Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How close to quilt on a wide border

The outside border on my quilt is 4" wide. I am using Hobbs 80/20. On the package it recommends quilting 4" apart. So does that mean I have to quilt this distance on both sides (4" square)? I would rather not quilt this border because I like the way it looks ditch quilted along each side. However I am concerned about "tunneling". I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks a bunch!

I run a parallel line of stitching 1/4" away from the ditch in the border when I have this situation. It is barely noticeable and helps the border to lay flat.

Banned
    it should be close enough to stabilize the layers. don't do it according to what the manufacturer says. That statement means they think the batting will remain stable at a certain number of inches. It also depends on the use and wear and washing of the quilt as well as drapability of the border. If I did'nt want to do much quilting, I might do a quarter inch from seam and probably another in the middle making it a straight line of quilting each 2" around the border.

Blog Entries
    The outside border gets tugged on, atleast on mine... I would be concerned over not quilting atleast that area according to the manufacturers recommendations... JMHO

Kas
    I would definately quilt it. To me, the more quilted it is, the sturdier it is. I want my quilts to withstand some abuse. Maybe change to a Warm & White or one of those sturdier batts. The W&W says up to 8 inches. But if you are hand quilting, that batting won't do at all.

depends on how much quilting is done on the interior of the quilt. If is closly quilted you will need to quilt the border. If is loosely quilted then I would do an outline on both sides of the border.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    depends on how much quilting is done on the interior of the quilt. If is closly quilted you will need to quilt the border. If is loosely quilted then I would do an outline on both sides of the border.
    Good point. You don't want it all wavy and distorted after all the work that went into it.

I FMQ my borders and I don't have to worry about how far apart it is. Years ago I quilted straight lines from the quilt center edge to side of border about 2" apart, been washed 6-8 times, at least and holding up. I use poly batting only. I FMQed a nine inch border to day. I love the love.

Thanks for all the input. I have quilted the interior of the quilt in half square triangles that are 2 1/2 by 3 1/2". It is machine quilted. I don't want to over quilt the borders.

Is it going to be used. How much? Will it be washed a lot. If it will be I would do some quilting on the border.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast