Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How come when I cut corners fabric still frays in the wash? >

How come when I cut corners fabric still frays in the wash?

How come when I cut corners fabric still frays in the wash?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM

I just hate that ragged issue when I pull pieces from the washing machine. :evil:

I read cutting the corners off helps--I wasn't exactly sure why, but tried it and it didn't help--still ragged sides.

I wash all fabrics on a short gentle cycle and dry on med heat.

What am I missing??
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 AM

I don't know why it's happening, but I solved that issue by buying pinking shear blades for my rotary cutter. I trim just the edges and I don't seem to have the problem anymore! :D
Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 AM

when i pre wash, which isn't often, mostly muslin, i sew right inside the raw edge and when it is dry and pressed i trim off that tiny edge and voila, no fray.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Hi :
Sorry this has nothing to do with your problem ,but I'm not sure where to go for new topics.
My problem: Iam doing a "Quilt as You Go " log cabin quilt,my question is how do you eliminate some of the bulk in the horizontal rows .In the vertical rows its not to bad ,but when you start to join the rows horizontally it gets really bulky at the vertical joins.I hope there is someone on here who understands what Iam doing and can offer some suggestions to maybe help with the problem.I would be so very greatful .I'm not happy with the results right now .It looks ok from the front but it is has a lot of bulk on the back. Thanks in advance Wilma
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Shadow Dancer taught me this trick. Cut a small notch on the folded part of each cut end. Unfolded, it would look like a little triangle. It works for me!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:17 PM

I have run into this so often, I just put anything less than a yard in a lingerie bag. Part of it comes from fabrics being cut so far off grain at the store. I have learned to point out this before the fabric is cut so they can give ne the amount I order (yes, I am a b***ch)

If in doubt, I run a zigzag stitch through, as long and wide as I can, easy to rip out later, but saves every bit of fabric. I also wash fabric as soon as it comes in, so if I cut chunks, I will not face washing tiny bits.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM

If it's a yard or less, I cut across the ends with pinking shears.

If it's more than a yard, I zigzag the two ends together. This also helps eliminate the fabric getting all twisted up in the washer and dryer. When I'm ready to use it, I just cut the stitched end off with the rotary cutter.

I also never run a full wash cycle. I have an express cycle on my washer for very small loads, and I use that cycle on gentle for fabric.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to try stitching the cut sides!! I'm also going to find one of thsoe underwear bags--and cut down on agitating. Thanks! :D
Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM

I open out the fabric completely and then starting at one end, accordian pleat it into about an 18"wide fold; place 3 or 4 safety pins along the top selvedge edge & shake it out so it hangs like drapes. Throw it in the washer, and when it's finished pull it out, find the pinned edge & shake it from there, it usually hangs like drapes again. Throw it into the dryer and damp dry it, then pull it out & shake it from the pins again. Then remove the pins & press if necessary. It works for me....it was an idea passed on to me at a class. Some people don't find it works for them, but that's with every new idea. Hope it might help someone here.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 AM

If you have a serger , serge the cut ends I lazy and don't wash fabric to often