Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How could anyone do that ? >

How could anyone do that ?

How could anyone do that ?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM

Angry How could anyone do that ?

Now I know, I just did it. I put down my Supreme Slider to begin FMQ but forgot to tape it down to the machine. Sewing along just fine until it felt "funny". Yep, I sewed the slider TO my quilt. Now what do I do? I hope I'll be able to rip the stitches out but they are pretty tight and I fear my Supreme Slide will be no more and it was so expensive to buy.

Ever have one of those days? Well this in "one of those years" for me it seems.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

You just have remember to check EVERY TWICE as the old saying go. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything will be OK once you have removed the stitching.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a supreme slider but I have found the best way for me to remove stitches is to use a small rotary cutter. You barely (if it's sharp) have to lay the blade against the stitch. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:14 AM

If you haven't frogged yet, the easiest way to remove dense stitching is to start at the end of the stitching line: pull up the top thread and the bobbin thread will "pop" to the top as a loop. Using your seam ripper, pull the top thread through the loop. Pull the bobbin thread loop back down to underneath.

Repeat.

Don't cut or shorten the bobbin thread but instead wind it around a finger from underneath to pull those loops back down. As the top thread gets "too" long to quickly pull through the bobbin loop on the top side of the quilt, clip it!

You'll be able to remove even the most dense or tangled mess using this technique.

I use this method to remove even simple boo boos. You won't have a kazillion bits of threads to remove. It doesn't leave big holes from tugging the threads. It doesn't distort bias edges.

Hope this helps someone save a beloved quilt.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Others on QB have sewn through their supreme slider too so you are not alone. Lift the sandwich up from the slider and use sharp thread snips to cut the thread.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:28 PM

I am sooo sorry. Is it a big slider than you could cut down and use the undamaged part? You probably can't save the slider, but hopefully can save the quilt. I've gotten some pretty dense stitching out with a magnifying light and perseverance.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM

Not a SS, but I sewed through an Olfa cutting mat. It was a "slap myself in the forehead" moment.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM

You are definitely not alone. I ruined three supreme sliders by sewing them into quilts. I didn't have trouble getting them removed although one had many, many stitches that had to be cut. My big problem was the expense of replacing the supreme sliders. Believe me, I am now very careful to tape the slider down well before starting FMQ.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM

I never did that, but I accidentally ironed my cutting board. It really warped it. lol
Sue
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

yep, i gave up on mine too. never sewed through it though. but could have!