Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How crazy is this? >

How crazy is this?

How crazy is this?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Default How crazy is this?

I'm considering doing a bias border that's 3" finished between a first 1 1/2" narrow border and a wide 6" outer border. Is this crazy and if not have you done it with success? I'm thinking of putting a very narrow (less than 1/4") strip of fusible interfacing on the outer edge so it doesn't stretch before I get the last border on.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Hope I am reading this right -- you want to put a 3" finished bias border between two straight-of-grain borders, right?

Instead of the fusible interfacing, I would suggest heavily starching the fabric that will become the bias cut border (before cutting!). A 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water is pretty good. I paint this on the yardage with a large wall painting brush, wait a couple of minutes to give the fibers time to absorb the starch solution, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam. This stabilizes the fabric so your bias is much less likely to stretch and distort with handling.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to use a fusible interfacing for just 1/4" on the outer edge. You could easily fuse in some distortion, as the edge of a bias cut is the most easily stretched out of shape. If you can find a really lightweight fusible, it would be preferable to fuse the entire yardage before cutting the bias border.

In other words, you want to stabilize the fabric *before* cutting the bias border.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I think Prism said well: "In other words, you want to stabilize the fabric *before* cutting the bias border. "
Starch or fuse before cutting. I personally would go with a featherweight stabilizer.
Just curious, why bias? Is it a stripe?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Not crazy, but I would definitely stabilize the edges of the bias strip. I'm also assuming that it's a stripe - let us know how it comes out!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

It's a plaid that wouldn't look right cut on the straight of grain. I'm afraid if I stabilize the entire border it will bubble and look different from the rest of the borders and quilt when washed. I hadn't thought about the narrow strip of interfacing stretching the edge, but you're right. I'm thinking now the extra heavy starch is the way to go.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM

In addition to starching the heck out of it, stay stitch the edges a little less from the edge than the seam allowance you will use to connect it with the rest of the borders.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 AM

would yes be a stupid answer? Then, no.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 AM

I would starch and stay stitch.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 AM

Good luck. I did a 2" bias border on one of my recent quilts, and it worked great! Stretching is indeed the biggest concern. I did my borders mitered, which meant that I attached all the borders together before attaching them to the quilt. I think that helped minimize any possible stretching, because I didn't have the full weight of the quilt on the strips before I had both edges of the bias sewn. I don't starch, but I'm sure it would help to do that. And if you are afraid of the border reacting differently, just starch all of them the same way. That wouldn't hurt anything.

I also cut my borders in 2 sets, one set leaning in each direction. That way I could get a continuous stripe pattern without it changing directions at the corners. Hard to explain but if you cut a stripe (or plaid I think) on bias,and attach one piece to the top of the quilt and one to the bottom, then the stripes "lean" in opposite directions on each side of the quilt. I wanted my mitres to blend the stripes without interrruption.

Here's a picture of my corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490163[/ATTACH]
And the whole quilt with the stripes all leaning to the right
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490164[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p5030287.jpg   p5030286.jpg  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 AM

I would suggest pinning well before you sew. And, put the bias piece on the bottom when you attach the straight boarder. This will keep the machine from stretching the bias piece as you sew.