Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to create a original >

How to create a original

How to create a original

Old 05-12-2010, 07:25 AM

Hi everyone. I hope you all are doing well and getting lots of quilting done!

I want to make a quilt for my mother's retirement party July 10. It's going to be wall hanging size. I want it to be completely original but I don't know where to start. Can anyone give me some ideas?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Does she have favorite colors?

Or do you want it to go in a particular space?

Photos that could be used?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM

She lives with my sister so it'll be for her bedroom. I have all the fabrics picked out, 5 different color families, browns, blues, greens, purples and some reds. I was thinking of a sampler, but how original is it if I were to use several block patterns? I was also thinking of starting in the middle and piecing my way out until the top is the size I want it. Does that make sense?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 AM

I keep a book of pictures of quilts and use it for inspirations. An octagon table runner with pine trees and bears was an inspiration for a couch throw for my brother. They look nothing alike. Start with some graph paper and colored pencils. You could always sketch out something then applique it. Or you could do something in her favorite colors or depicting her favorite hobbies. You could also take 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" pieces of fabric, a fabrico pen and have her co-workers sign their names then work those pieces into blocks. If it's a small wall hanging then use 1 1/2x 3 and tell them not to write in the seam allowance. You could make the wall hanging with cream or white areas and let the co-workers write on it with the fabric pen at the party. You could do one using Printed Treasures or something like that and have pictures of her through out the years that she's worked. Wall hangings can be anywhere from 10"x12" on up to several feet. So the first thing is to decide on exactly what size then work within your dimensions. You could also take a favorite vacation picture and recreate it with fabric. Hope some of these ideas help. Whatever you do your mother will love it. Even if it's a tried and true pattern.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Pam

Yes! That is how I usually quilt when I am doing something for myself! I will attach a WIP. I know where I want to go, but have not done it yet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65413.jpe  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Maybe put a twist on the sampler.. how many years has mom worked ? Do one block from each decade that she worked , representing all her years of work ?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Apologies for hijacking the thread... But Pam that picture is Gorgeous! I love those colors and that goldfish batik is to die for.