Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Did Everybody Get Into Quilting?? >

How Did Everybody Get Into Quilting??

How Did Everybody Get Into Quilting??

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

You did a super job! And I salute your courage and determination to get it done. Good for you. Keep quilting and learning from others. This Quilting Board has helped me a lot.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 PM

My granny taught me how to quilt when I was a little girl. She made me do it. I hated it. In 1999 I was diagnosed with sarcoid in the bones and fibromyalgia. I couldn't walk and then in 2001 I had a stroke andstayed in a wheelchair for 4 years. When I graduated to the walker I was bored to death. So I thought about granny teaching me to quilt. Ibought a sewing machine and quilting became therpy. I can walk now but still can't work due to the fibro. I am on disability and quilting is still therapy. I'll leave this earth quilting :mrgreen:
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lady-T
In junior high, I took sewing in Home Ec., I flunked!
I liked to hand sew but HATED machines!!
I used to patch denim jeans & heavy work clothes all by hand.
I have a neice that sews like an angel! Makes all her childrens clothes, etc...
One day she showed me a summer quilt she had made and I wanted to do that soooo bad! But never followed through.
Then my Mom passed away from breast cancer (2001). I was going through her things, I came across her handkerchiefs.
I thought they would be pretty made into a quilt. She would have loved that!
So DH bought me my first machine that fall. A Viking Huskystar....nothing too fancy but a great machine.
Bought a few fabric I thought were pretty and went well with the hankies, Then just started cutting & sewing.
Didn't know a thing about any special techniques and definitely made a mess of my attempt at applique!! :lol:
But all said and done, I liked it and I think Mom does too!
And so I was bitten by "the bug". I've made 31 quilts so far.
No record my any means....but that's ok.
Lady T, you did your mother proud.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM

When i was just a little tiny tiny girl,my mother used to leave me with my grandmother, or one of her sisters, my great aunts. I remember that I was small enough to walk under the quilt frame. So they gave me a job of sitting on a footstool under the quilt frame to pick up dropped spools of thread, needles, scissors, and thimbles. To keep me happy they gave me scraps to play with. One day they discovered me "sewing" the scraps with a needle with no thread in it, (and I suppose wondering why it didn't stay together? )
So they gave me threaded darning needles with thread in them and I happily sewed the scraps together in bunches.
then I would hand them up "to be put in the quilt"
So they told me that the lowest left hand corner block was mine! on every quilt! -Of course they were lying to me, but by the time I got old enough to figure that out- I was hooked on quilting!
I am 81 now....been quilting off and on ever since!
By the way, all of my grandmother's family were good honest people, this was one of the few lies they ever all told together at the same time!
Jeannie
Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Elinor Burns was on T.V. one spring day in 2003 and she made it look so easy, yeah right I thought but as time went on I taught myself and some new patterns off this cite.