Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did  you learn how to free motion quilt? >

How did you learn how to free motion quilt?

How did you learn how to free motion quilt?

Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 PM

That looks AWESOME! I'm still "meandering." My problem is so much time between finished quilt tops that are ready to quilt. I doodle and practice with scrap sandwiches, but two a year just isn't enough to stay good at it.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 PM

The best thing I would say is to not be too critical about your early efforts. Try to do a real project, not just try to get everything perfect on samples before doing a real quilt. I had issues with getting an even stitch (still do sometime!), but all the people who got my quilts never noticed and loved them. Even if there are "defects" in your quilting, once the quilt has been washed the crinkles hide a multitude of sins <grin>. Remember that straight lines are the hardest to do iN FMQ so concentrate on curves. Eyelashes on the back are usually caused by moving too fast on the curves; concentrate on keeping the movement even.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:20 AM

Just pop on a hopping foot, put on your gripper gloves and give it a go. I find that working on placemats is a great practice before you start on a larger quilted item. You can quilt each one different. Just give yourself extra for the edge so you can cut it down to size.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 AM

I second the suggestion to follow Lori Kennedy. Her tutorials are great! There are also a lot of great books out there by other quilter/bloggers that have been so helpful to me. Angela Walters, Natalia Bonner, Christina Cameli, just to name a few. I own all of their books and they are a great resource. In all cases, practicing is key. Plan to fill up several sheets of scrap paper with your attempts. Once you get the feel of it, keep doodling until you can 'see' the design on the blank sheet and where you are going to stitch next. By continuing to practice with your pencil and paper, you develop muscle memory. (similar to typing, your fingers just know where the keys are.) Once I'm comfortable with paper, I move to practice quilt sandwiches. This allows you to practice scale of your design, and work out any tension and thread issues before you start on the real project. (I've found that plexi glass over the real quilt, and a dry erase marker can be very helpful)
Just remember every project you quilt is a snapshot of what you're capable of at the time. I live by this motto and rarely remove quilting stitches. Just quilt and move on. Good luck on your FMQ journey.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM

Well, as you said, practice, practice, practice is the key. Also, frequent practice so your muscles/mind don't forget.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:54 PM

One of the best things I ever did was take a 3 day beginner machine quilting workshop with Cindy Needham. http://www.cindyneedham.com/workshops.htm about 4 years ago. I had never done any FMQ at all. I knew I wanted to learn how to do it and this workshop seemed to fit the bill. Cindy is an awesome teacher. When I left my cord at home on my (unsuitable anyway) sewing machine she lent me hers. I was the least experienced person in the class.

The best part about having her there was she teaches you to how to solve tension and other issues on your machine. I ended up buying a used machine from one of the other participants the second day, similar to Cindy's. I sat next to someone who had just purchased a similar machine so in addition to Cindy's help we helped each other. By the time I got home I knew how to adjust upper tension, lower tension without any fear. When I have a tension problem I run through her steps and am able to trouble shoot my problem. and of course I found the hum-purr someone else on this thread talked about.

I got a new machine last year, took a one hour lesson in the store and because of Cindy's class could immediately start FMQ on the machine. I think the biggest frustration with FMQ are the machine issues and tension problems and she helps you solve these.

We tried numerous kinds of Superior threads so learned how to adjust tensions on different threads cotton poly metallic etc. I learned many different basic FMQ designs. We even played around with stencils. She covered everything and gave us all a CD with all the information in book form. I still refer to it. While her work is exquisite she shows everyone little tricks to make the FMQ easier and the ways to 'hide' mistakes. I went out of there with such confidence. We learned putting the quilt sandwich together too.

I don't usually take workshops, too hard to get there and expensive. Since then I've taken a lot of Craftsy classes with Angela Waters and Leah Day. I use Leah Day's website extensively and purchased a few of her e-books.

I quilt very differently than Cindy, she does whole quilts and uses stencils extensively I tend to Angela Walters style with free form FMQ but Cindy's workshop was really a great workshop to jumpstart my fmq and skip past most of the beginner challenges.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM

I am definitely not there yet, but I have read to begin on paper then try working on flannel next. I have also taken a class. My opinion is it really is a skill that takes awhile to master.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I have bookmarked this valuable thread.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Also Google Leah Day. She has lots of free videos. I taught myself by watching videos and practicing a lot. I am not an expert but can do a respectable enough job.
She also has a class on fmq'ing at craftsy. I took it and it is fun to watch her do all of the neat designs.

The truth is, you have to set up your machine and just do it to learn. It will get easier and easier as you go. I sometimes use many different quilting ways in a quilt. Some stitch in the ditch, some echo and also marked designs along with the free motion fillers. I have some built ins on the bernina's and I want to try them out. It is just a matter of time and courage.. LOL!

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-28-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:49 AM

Working at it. The hardest part is I don't do all over and filler designs, I don't like them. I prefer marked designs where I want them. My embroidery machine doesn't have a larger practical hoop than 5 inches, so if I want larger, I have to free motion. Mine is more like ruler work using marking pens instead. The problem is getting to the point of that. Most Craftsy classes are good, but they assume all over and filler work. I usually just watch the learning technique part and ignore the rest. Leah Day is good, but I'd never use how to sandwich a full size quilt. I'll only do a twin size as QAYG. I did a king size with just STID on an old Pfaff 1471 and never again.

That's more practicing the feeling. Right now I'm doing curves that wind up looking like "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" 4 inches apart along the squares which can be continuous up to a point. Some squares have triangles, and those are sort of echo. So there is stopping and starting. The blocks are 24 inches and will be finished QAYG. Learning as I go.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 08-29-2015 at 06:55 AM.